Cleaning mounted reflectors

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

SaltnLime
Chromis

Cleaning mounted reflectors

Post by SaltnLime »

I was wondering what steps everyone takes to clean thier reflectors. I have 3 MH spider reflectors that get residue build up and lose much of thier performance. My issue is I cannot remove my canopy without alot of hassle (timers,probes,ballasts and cords all mounted on back). So what is an easy way. I tried just using a dry or wet rag and no go. Is there a solution that I could use to clean them that is reef safe if some dripped into the tank? Surely I dont have to remove them to clean them.... :?
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

There is nothing. Get them as good as you can with vingegar and windex. Mine did the same thing.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

snoopdog wrote:There is nothing. Get them as good as you can with vingegar and windex. Mine did the same thing.
As far as windex is concerned, I would be VERY careful or not use it at all, high contents of ammonia.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah but once the ammonia dries and evaporates all is safe right.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

snoopdog wrote:Yeah but once the ammonia dries and evaporates all is safe right.
Yes, but Shawn states that he can not remove the reflectors without it being a PITA. I would be very careful using Windex anywhere near the tank at all without a lid.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah, oops. Oh well might just have to use a regular wet rag and then a dry one after.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

snoopdog wrote:Yeah, oops. Oh well might just have to use a regular wet rag and then a dry one after.

Yep that dont work. Guess I'll take it down completely when I replace the lights next month.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

They may not come clean at all. I never had a set of halide reflectors that would completely come clean after a year.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.