Lighting for frag/fuge tank

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Xster
Astrea snail

Lighting for frag/fuge tank

Post by Xster »

Well, I just got my frag/fuge tank in. The dimensions are 48 L X 24 W X 15 H. A 12 L section is partitioned for the fuge, the rest is the frag tank. I just wanted some opinions as to the ligthing scheme. I am wondering if my frags will do fine with just VHO's, or just a MH lamp with the Lumenarc reflector? What wattage of MH? and what color temperature?

What should I do, kinda confused.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Well if you are going with trays and the lights will be real close to the top i think that even SPS will do good with VHO or power compact.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

With only 15" height, wouldn't heat be a big factor when considering halides? Put that big lumenarc reflector and a 400watter and watch the water boil :lol:

Where'd you put the tank, you make a shelf for it in your equipment room?
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Brandon wrote:With only 15" height, wouldn't heat be a big factor when considering halides? Put that big lumenarc reflector and a 400watter and watch the water boil :lol:

Where'd you put the tank, you make a shelf for it in your equipment room?

Haha, I know, I might go 250W with the lumenarc, and place it at least 10 inches away from the water surface, with a fan blowing across. At least that is what I am leaning towards. I might also go with four VHO's 2 50/50 2 actinics. Not sure yet. So un-decided!! Maybe a combination of both, but trying to keep costs to a minimum. After all, it is just a frag tank! :roll:

I moved the two Ro/DI reservooirs out to the garage, and I am using conder blocks as a stand in that area for the frag tank.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I think it depends on what you are using it for. If you are growing out frags and the prop tank is connected to the main tank then a 250 or a 400 would be best. If it is not connected to the main tank I would use just a 175 watt 20kk. If you are just holding frags for trade for a short time use VHO's or PC's.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.