ho ballasts ...

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Dys
Amoeba

ho ballasts ...

Post by Dys »

Just wondering if anyone has played with any off the wall items... I am looking to put together something for my cousin who has like 6 fresh water tanks, running very sad lighting on all of them, wanted to put like 30W & 40W 5000K-6500K bulbs (fluorescent T8 if possible) in place.

Any info on ballasts etc... cheapie, diy kinda home depot stuff :)

Thanks
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I used to use the cheap ($6.99 for 2) HD 40 watt bulbs. I'm not sure about ballasts but I thought that a 2F40T12 (or something like that) was pretty cheap.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Dys
Amoeba

Mini cf

Post by Dys »

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these mini CF bulbs... look ok, wonder if they would work well on 10G tanks and possibly 2-3 on 55gal freshwater tank... sorry the link is so long....

http://www.esuweb.com/products/216Coral ... _50-50.htm
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Just ordered one last week for a 2.5 gallon mantis tank. I have not gotten it yet. I ordered the 20watt version from Big Al's Online. I think the 20watt version is just out:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/pro ... ry_id=1845
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

I don't have any personal exp with those exact lights but I would expect them to be more than fine. Jst curious though. Why the 50/50's? There going freshwater right? Are they doing live plants?

When I had that 55 FW i ran the HD 6500k flor. on them and just fine.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Update, got the bulb in today, haven't fired it up, it's too long for my hood on my little nano.. argh! I did find a screw in flourescent in the aquarium section of walmart that is 6500k for $4.98 that fits and looks great though.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Dys
Amoeba

lights

Post by Dys »

actually got his aquariums put in a single stand and side by side they were just about 50 inches, so I ended up going to lowes and picked up a Lithonia 48" Fluorescent Shop Light, and put it in the hood we made, and then put Daylight Deluxe bulbs also at Lowes, they are 6500K bulbs.
Looks quite nice, will ahve to remember the $21 2 bulb strip at lowes for future needs.

I was thinking of using the 50/50 coz he wanted to put some plants in in the near future... with the dual light strip ( only using 1 atm) he can add a actinic bulb in.... plus he is thinking aobut maybe doing a fish only salt tank *shrug* will see.