Calcium Reactor

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

LoneStar
Amoeba

Calcium Reactor

Post by LoneStar »

Hello,

I am planning on purchasing a calcium reactor very soon. I do not have alot of room under the tank in the sump area. My stand is 60" long but I have a 75gal sump which leaves me with about 8" of space at one end. I have about 30" of heigth to work with and about 24" of length to work with. I am really wanting a good quality reactor that can fit in this space. The reactor needs to be good for about 700 gallons. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

If you don't mind paying twice as much Deltec is supposed to be the best. If I had to buy another possibly a larger Korallin or MyReefCreations. The nice thing about MRC reactors is that you can specify the dimentions (to a point).
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Any pros on cons to a lifereef calcium reactor. I found a good deal on 1 but do not know too much about them. With the way things are going lately, it is probably a trouble stricken piece of junk that I have just threw my money away on. Anyway, hoping for the best.

Jeremy
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

If i remember correctly the guy from Lifereef usually has a long waiting list. That may be the only downside as i heard they did outstanding work. Looking at there products they seem to be well crafted and do very precise work. They may have stepped up production though, when i was researching them was in '03
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

You are correct about the waiting list. I did research before I purchased it and everything they (lifereef) has is out of stock. I am buying this 1 used (only 2 months old supposably). I am hoping it is a decent reactor.

Thanks for the input,
Jeremy
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

How are you on your tank and gauges ? Do you have these yet ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Jeremy, you might think about contacting Skipper (a moderator on RC). He has had one for a couple of years and might be able to give you some real life thoughts about the constuction and ease of use. His web site is:http://www.reefsite.homestead.com/index.html. He lives in Hattiesburg, so it might be an option to see it in person. They look well designed and durable from the pics.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Snoop: The reactor was complete. It already has the guages, solonoids, valves, disconnects, etc. I am not sure if they are cheapies or decent and to be honest, this is the 1st calcium reactor I have ever used. I have not received it yet, probably will receive it Monday. I will add the link from ebay.

Scott: I will visit the website. Sounds like he would be the exact person to talk to about setting it up if I have troubles. Thanks for the info.

Jeremy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :EOAB:US:6
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Not a bad price! You will probsbly never hear me say this again but B&B has a pretty good price on A.R.M. media. The biggest obsticle is finding someone to fill a CO2 tank while you wait.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Funny thing is, that was going to be my next question to you guys, where the heck to fill it. I figure about any welding shop should do it (Norden Smith). How long do they take? Same day? I guess I will cross that bridge Monday.

Jeremy
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Nah not just any welding shop will do it while you wait. I had best luck with the Wesco (might not have name right) in Prichard.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

My statement did not come out right. I meant to say that I figured any welding shop should have the co2. I had not even given any consideration or thought that they would not do it on the spot. I will try the shop is Prichard if thats where you have had the best luck.

Thanks again for the help,
Jeremy
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Just to let all know, Snoop was right. Wesco in Prichard will fill the CO2 on the spot.

Thanks,
Jeremy
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yes
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.