CO2 tank and regulator Q's (reactor)

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

CO2 tank and regulator Q's (reactor)

Post by ShagMan »

I'm putting together a list of stuff to buy to get a two-chamber reactor going. Two questions:

1) aside from lacking a bubble counter (not worried about it), can I just use a welding/CO2/argon regulator?? example for $30 locally:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=47259

2) Where / what do I do about a CO2 tank? Aren't these expensive? Can you lease them? Help!
-Josh Murrah
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I dont know about the regulator, but the needle valve is very important, It needs to be of decent quality or it will not be that precise and it will go "out" on you.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

xster is correct on the needle valve...do not cut corners...get with me...Almost any of the regulators will wk but you will have to change out the fitting....should be about $10. The threads on co2 tanks are different as well as the seat. this is with most gas bottles... I got mine from the same place I buy my gas from. Ck around someone might have a new one since it is the same as used on beer KEGs. Then you do not get it refilled you exchange it for another full one. ... You should also have a digital ph hand meter for testing the output ph... it should be 6.5 to 6.7. Also you need a tall (1.5 foot are taller ) skinny (about 2in) beeker to cal your output volume when you make adjustments.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Paid $26 for my 20lb on ebay. You can add a bubble counter on, aqua medic sells one, and someone else.. cant remember... you could do a google or ebay search for bubble counter. Harbor Freight has them also for around $150. Wouldn't worry too much about looks, since you will probably swap it out for another at fill time, instead of dropping yours off and picking it back up.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

You can get a 5 lb tank from Nordan Smith on Halls Mill Rd for less than $20 filled. I am not sure if that regulator will work. The secondary gage measures from 0-10 psi. Nepthea uses a regulator that he got from a welding supply store.

What kind of needle valves does everyone use?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

OK, I got it installed, now comes the tuning phase. Per Terry's instructions, I have started it at about 50ml per minute (medium-fast drip) and a medium bubble count on the CO2 (the needle valve on the CO2 is FINICKY!!!).... Yes, it is a second-hand unit, but including the media and bottle, and refurbishing it, I think I have about $250 all total into it :)

Oh yeah, and definitly buy your bottle from Nordan Smith... compared to these guys, WESCo wanted an extra $35 for a 10lb tank, and extra $40+ for a 20lb tank.
Attachments
IMG_2182small.jpg
IMG_2182small.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Dude, glad to hear it fits under the tank! Now stop typing and start growing (me) some frags!
Wind me up!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Just start slow and get used to it, it is easier to melt your media than you think.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
old salty
Amoeba

Post by old salty »

Hey ShagMan,
That sure is a good looking calcium reactor :wink:
Keep me posted on that feedback.
I dont know if you got both of my emails but I am probably easier to find at the first address.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yep, got 'em, and responded... good to hear from you!
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Shag...let me know when you want the valve....working lots of hrs right now....
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yep, will do Terry... are you coming this weekend?

I got approval from the financial manager, so will definitely be getting that 2nd valve.
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

where did you get your reactor? im in the market for one and who makes your reactor?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Mike, I know for a fact that you are going to have to buy from Peter Vo to get that exact reactor.... Peter is the original seller of the one I have, and is still currently selling reactors from the same manufacturer. The manufacturer is a semi-local machine shop, I've talked to the guy who makes them; the machine shop isn't going to be making any direct sales.
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

ok, i was just asking where you got it and how much it was so i can get me one.