Looking for Metal Halide

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

He only ran it 3-3.5 hours. Let us know how you fare when you up that to 8-10 hours.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Yeah I am not running them for a long time yet because I am not wanting to over stress the corals that I have. I had a large jump in wattage with the MH. Should I slowly increse the length of time I have the MH on or should I just start to leave them on for 8 to 10 hours?
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

bring them up about an hr a day.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

If your corals are used to just VHO's you should take it slower. Start of extending your halides on time by 30 minutes twice a week and always watch your tank temp.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I finally got the lighting that I wanted in my tank. I have 2 MH bulbs one 400w blueline 20K, one 175w 10K, three VHO (would be 4 but I am out of space in the hood) 2 15w blue party bulbs (for a moon light effect). The ballast that that I got is a coralvue for the 400w, home made ballast for the 175w, and a icecap 660 for the vhos. At the moment I have one fan running on it and the temperature ranges from 80 to 84. One more fan one or two small fans on the other side should bring the temp down just a little more. Oh and I they have all been on for 9 hours now with no problems. This may be a little over kill on the lights for a 55 gal, but I wanted to get all the lights and ballast that I will need for when I decide to upgrade to a larger tank.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

I got a 20g that Im thinking about putting a 400w MH over....It's gunna be a frag tank
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

danielmiller82 wrote:I got a 20g that Im thinking about putting a 400w MH over....It's gunna be a frag tank
You planning on boiling water in that tank? I would go with power compacts. I would think that a 20 gal tank would heat up too much from a mH.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

two different shops told me that a 400w MH would be perfect for that setup...Will have an open top though and some fans.
-daniel
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

It's work a try, An open top will help a lot with the heat.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Way too much light.....you might get by with a MH 175w but that would be the most I would go and that is in question.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

really? thats cool...I wasnt looking forward to spending so much on MH
if I built a prop tank 3-4' long x 2' wide x 8-10" deep...could I get away with a pair of 90w a couple inches off of the water? I wanna do some softies and some stonies...(lots of zoos and shrooms around the egdes of the tank.
-daniel
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I don't even have Mh on my 92 gal tank and everything does fine. The only reason I would want Mh is so that I could get the light shimmer.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Ck with Rich at Progresive on his Power compacts for that tank....