MH's overkill for my tank (20" deep)?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

MH's overkill for my tank (20" deep)?

Post by ShagMan »

I posted this on reefcentral... what do you guys think about it?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... did=447778
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I don't think you need them. You don't have a sandbed full of Maximas or Croceas. Your stonies are probably midlevel, so you don't have to get super par down to the 18" level. Plenty of people get great growth and coloration from VHO only.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I was thinking of doing the same thing and getting rid of my sps. My main concern was anemones, don't know if they will thrive under just vho.

I do have a 75 at work with just 330w of vho. A green frogspawn I added about 2 years ago has gone from about 3" across to about the size of a volley ball.

Joe
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Maybe some T-5's instead of VHO's would give you some options. I really like the look of halides but they don't have to be 250's to give it the look.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I would not think that would be to much lighting for the tank that you have, but I don't know a whole lot about how much light is needed. I just know that you need a lot of it for stoney corals and not so much for softys. You may want to go with 175w MH that would cut down on the heat problem. If you do decide to sell them let me know I may want one or two of them, I need to get replace my 400W with something with less heat.