new weir with or without teeth

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

110chadman
Copepod

new weir with or without teeth

Post by 110chadman »

im thinking of putting in a new weir in the tank i dont want to do the normal L shape id like to use on flat piece of plexi so it makes a triangle but im not shure id i want teeth or not any pros and cons of using teeth or not to use teeth also another reason is i want to put in 2 stockman stand pipes or just use 1" tees in the back there is 2 - 1" drains and there is just not enough room for tees and/or stockmans i figured if i want withthe flat piece fo plexi i can get this to work

will 3/8 5/8 or 1/4 be ok for the weir

thanks

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

weir? I take it that to mean a internal overflow... I actually recommend no teeth, but put some plastic grid or some such to catch small fish instead... that's what Terry and myself both do. Do durso standpipes, I tried stockmans, but they're finicky and a lot tougher to make... dursos don't take up that much more room. Check out the thread about my 240G in alabama reefkeepers area, there's information about all of that.
-Josh Murrah
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

cool thanks ill check that thread out you have never heard if an internal overglow called a weir or wier (sp) i read it a long time ago and have stuck with it!!!

thanks

chad
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

According to www.dictionary.com: a weir is "a long notch with a horizontal edge, as in the top of a vertical plate or plank, through which water flows" and "a dam placed across a river or canal to raise or divert the water, as for a millrace, or to regulate or measure the flow".

I'm mostly familiar with it as an engineering term referring to a "hold up" plate in an extraction or stripping column. The weir the wall of a tray (dish) that holds liquid to a specific height.

Sorry... couldn't resist the temptation to straighten out an engineering phrase... :oops:

I've had both the toothed and the flat... I think the flat with a "strainer" is the quietest type. :)
Wind me up!
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

cool deal im thinking of going to the straight flat with the egg crate on the top

its been a long day at work so clear this up for me am i using the "weir" term correctly as in an aquarium set up

chad
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

yes.
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I gladly defer to the geeky engineer type :)
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Geeky engineer? I get that a lot! :lol:
Wind me up!