sump plans and questions about pumps

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

110chadman
Copepod

sump plans and questions about pumps

Post by 110chadman »

here is an attached pic of the sump i want to build or have build what do yall think

also at the bottom you will find a question on what pump i should use either on the return or the closed loop

the tank has 2 1" drains 1 1/2" return and the closed loop has 1 1" drain and 2 1" returns

the pumps i have are

1 4mdqx-sc
1 3mdq-sc
1 2mdqx-sc ( on calc reactor )
1 c-ao ns-50

help with what pump i should use

im thinking of putting the 4mdqx on the closed loop the 3mdq on the return and the 2mdqx on the e.t.s.s. skimmer and the c-ao ns-50 on the calc reactor or the xtra mag 5 i have on the calc reactor

what do yall think

thanks

chad
Attachments
see bottom of pic for flow rates on pumps
see bottom of pic for flow rates on pumps
SUMP DESIGN.JPG (86.37 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Not sure what size tank you have ( sorry I am sure you have said somewhere)....Space is always a problem with a sump....not sure if with skimmer and fuge in sump you would have enough space for the return water if power shuts off and tank drains into the sump...the external pumps are better than what I use since they will not cause as much of a heat problem like a internal pump. as for what size pumps...I run 2 2400gal/hr pumps for return on a 240 gal tank ....and wish I had more. This does not include my two douphin 800 pumps I run in the main tank or the mag 12 for the skimmer and the other pump for the reactor. the design looks great...just a few questions on size. (not that they are wrong...just questions and food for thought...)...with any system if it cranks up and runs perfit you will have the first on ever. There will always be some fine tuning and changes to be made...Good luck.. Terry
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

well the tank is on one side of a wall and the sump and pumps are on the other side so room for the sump is not an issue i have a 110 flat back hex the sump will be around 40 gallons i have set the sump hight at 15 but i can go up to 19 or 20 ang have the extra water displacement if the power goes out

thanks

chad
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Great I like that being on the other side of the wall....great access...As for the fuge....I would make it seperate.....get a cheap 20gal and have one or two (two would protect you from one getting stopped up)...holes drilled at the top....place it on couple of concrete blocks so the dirlled holes are slightly higher than your sump....you can then take a sidestream controled by a valve from your main tank drain to fill the fuge and it will drain out the holes to your sump....This will increase your water volume and allow you a more versital system ....you can then put a deep sand bed in the fuge and drip your reactor to it also...the co2 will help your fuge and give it more time to dispurse. by doing this you will not require another pump. Also hook up a line if you can from your skimmer to the outside or a drain then you will not have to empty the cup....
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

i was thinking of a 2 tank steup ( like shagman) and still in the back of my head i may still do it i have my old sump ill have to measure it it has one 1" hole for the old return i can plug that up and drill 2 1" hole at the top and do like you said on the fuge idea ill draw up some plans tonight and see what yall think

as far as the skimmer it does have a drain hose that i have in an old activated carbon container - minus the carbon ( i used it up ) makes a good drain container but i may go up to a 1 gallon jug

thanks for the info

chad
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Really try to run the skimmer dran outside if you can.....they have been known to run away.....
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

forgot one thing yes its nice to have the sump on one side of the wall and the tank is on the other

in the room ( a storage closet with the water heater ) im not too concerend with space i dont want to go more than 25" wide but the length i can do upwards of 50-70 or 80 inches long and a max hight of 45-47 inches ( top is gonna be a work bench)-- sort of we will see

im rearing to get started i figured its gonna be about $1000.00 bucks +- a few bucks to finnish it all thats including all new sand for main tank and fuge maby 20-50 #'s of live rock all the plumbing a new sump (plexi) maby i may have to pull a new circut from the electrical box because there ar no outlets in the room where i plan to put in all the stuff in

thanks

chad
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

If you are pulling wire make sure you pull couple of xtras......wire does not cost that much and if the wire is already there then easy to add another circuit....also did not notice if there was a water auto fill from storage tank or ro/di unit.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

i have an rodi 50gallon a day unit thats in the laundry room but i may move it to the fish room but there is no drain in the room i have a water source ( the hotwater heater -- the cold side) as far as water top off i was thinking of 2 40 gallon trashcans on another table one with salt and the other with fresh to do topoffs and water changes

here is a pic of the storage room

thanks

chad
Attachments
storage room
storage room
fishroomsmall.JPG (41.35 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

If it is on an outside wall then place a drain in the wall... I removed a brick and placed a drain there....that will take care of the skimmmer drain and drain from rodi......drain is not a have to but sure does save a lot of wk...time to spend enjoying the reef....
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

You do have a drain in that room, the drain-pan on the hot water heater has to be connected into a drain.
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

drain pan on the water heater does not have to be connected to a drain...It is not in my dads house...it is there for a tatle tail if the water heater starts to leak....usually very slow leak and shows in the pan so you can change....
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

That saftey valve thingy on the side of the hot water heater is drain, maybe could tee off that?

Looks like it's going to be a great setup.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

the water heater and pan drains out onto the carport 2 small pipes id rather not have the rodi drain all the time on the carport

well i think i might have a change of plans i just talked to liz about gitting her 500 gallon tank i may get it the following weekend and i can do an inwall tank on the oppsit side of the room and have all the fish related items in my office

ill keep yall informed on this one so my inital 1000 bucks may have gone up a little gonna need lots more live rock

chad