Blueline(Pan World) pumps for return.

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Blueline(Pan World) pumps for return.

Post by Fishfood »

Scott I know you said you were looking to get one of these for your return. I was looking at them also. The tank i'm getting is a 135g RR (dual overflow) tank with 1" drains and 3/4" returns. I'm still not sure what the overflows will handle on this tank. I posted on RC and got little to no feedback.

I was thinking that with the eductors and all the plumbing with the pump pushing two returns that the HD70 would be the way to go but someone on RC said they were using the 70 from a basement sump that had to push 10' to get to the tank and he had to throttle it back. With that in mind I don't want to flood the tank or cut back the pump so bad that it burns it out.

I guess the HD55 would be the way to go. I'm going to put an extra T from the return back into the sump, or fuge depending on setup, so if it is too much i'll pump some water back into the sump rather then cutting the flow back putting more stress on the pump.

Does this sound like the route to go? according to the head loss calculator on RC i'd be pushing about 800-900 gph with the 55. I'm still unsure as to how to figure the overflow/drain rate.

As for the closed loop. I plan on using that reefflo dart with 5 outputs(no eductors). I'm going to put it on a shelf behind the tank and this will cut 2 ft of head pressure. According to the head loss calculation i'll be pushing about 2000 gph with all the plumbing. Do you think 5 outputs is too much or not enough. I'll have 3 along the back and 2 on the sides similar to what Scott has done.

With this flow i'd be turning the tank over almost 20 times an hour depending on sump/fuge sizes.

Drew
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Well I got the blueline 55HP for my return and I got in my sequence reefflo dart for the closed loop. I have most of it plumbed together so hopefully i can do a water test this weekend. Once it is set up it will sit empty for a while do to money issues but i need to get this part set up so i can move it out of the room i'm keeping it in and put it in place.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The head pressure of CL pumps are calculated differently. Since the input is only a foot at most from the output, most of the loss is due to plumbing friction. Sounds good though. I would like to see the eductors in action.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

when i'm back in my house and its all set up you need to stop by next time you are in pensacola.

The thing is for the closed loop i plumbed it over the back and i have the pump on the bottom of the stand so i still have to push it up 4-5 ft. From talking to Andy at MRC he made it sound like the Dart will be more then enough with 4 outlets into the tank. I expect the blueline pump to push some water as well with the eductors if they work like they say they do.
medikall
Amoeba

Post by medikall »

I think what scott was saying is that it doesnt matter where the pump is in a system head pressure is the differance in height from the inlet to the outlet. So in a closed loop if your input is skimming the top and the outlets are lower you could in effect have zero (negative I dont think can happen in a closed loop) only thing left to cause pressure drops is the plumbing itself.
Sean