Question on lighting suggestion for a 75 gallon

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brian
Amoeba

Question on lighting suggestion for a 75 gallon

Post by Brian »

I was wanting to ask if anyone thinks the lights I want to use are too much for my 75 gallon or should I use less light. I am just starting the tank so if anyone has any suggestions about me using more light or less light please let me know. Also when you make a suggestion could you please tell me which lights should be white and which ones blue I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I am thinking to use the following lights.

1 - 175 Metal Halide 10,000K
2 - 96 watt Power Compacts
4 - 95 watt 36" VHO's
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

You really need 2 metal halides to get even light distribution. If you don't already have the bulbs just use the 4 vho's that are 110 watts each (actinic) and the two 175's. You may have to swap out one actinic vho for a 50/50 to get the color that you like.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the reply. So you would not use the PC's? I was not sure if the 4 ft VHO's would fit under my canopy is why I said the 3ft's. The canopy is like 48.5 or 49 inches wide I believe. Just so you guys know my goal is to start out with some fish, rock, and soft coral and eventually add maybe one clam and some hard corals. That is why I wanted to get suggestions on my lighting because I want to be sure I have enough light when I go to add the clam later because my understanding is clams need alot of light. If it helps also the tank dimensions are 48 wide, 18 deep, and 20 tall.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

4 VHO and 2 halides will fit, it is tight but can be done. I have 4 barely used 4 foot URI bulbs perfect for a 75 gallon, hint hint.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Hey snoop. Here is my email explorethis96@hotmail.com Get up with me and let me know what you want for the bulbs. Also I am needing 4 endcaps if anyone knows where I can get some or what type I should use. I seen some on ebay but the guy wants a fortune for shipping.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Marine Depot or Champion Lighting have endcaps, about $10 a pair. Get the standoffs too if your planning to mount directly to a wooden canopy.

Vho's come in 46.5" for 48" tanks.

Nothing wrong with pc lighting. Vho is usually considered a better supplement to mh. Most use pc stand-alone on smaller tanks.

I may have a 2x 175w mh ballast and sockets for sale soon, check with me before you buy if your interested. Its a pfo tar ballast, I may keep it havent deciede. Let me see what they are going for used.

Joe
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have Corallife endcaps to fit them with molded cords, and the bulb holders.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

PC's are becoming the bane of lighting systems. Short lamp life is one thing that they are known for. Snoop and shawn know about that.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah they suck.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Hey Phisher let me know before you sell the MH setup. I have not bought one yet so I will be in the market for one. Are the Coralife endcaps good ones to use or is there some better? Thanks for the advise guys. I will go with 4 ft VHO's and 2 175 MH's. Also snoop remember to let me know a price on the bulbs and endcaps.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Some people like the white endcaps that everyone seems to use, i personally have them but that is me. I find the molded cables practically immune to corrosion and the sockets also. I used mine for many years and never lost one.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Phisher wrote:Marine Depot or Champion Lighting have endcaps, about $10 a pair. Get the standoffs too if your planning to mount directly to a wooden canopy.

Vho's come in 46.5" for 48" tanks.

Nothing wrong with pc lighting. Vho is usually considered a better supplement to mh. Most use pc stand-alone on smaller tanks.

I may have a 2x 175w mh ballast and sockets for sale soon, check with me before you buy if your interested. Its a pfo tar ballast, I may keep it havent deciede. Let me see what they are going for used.

Joe
If Brian doesn't get them, let me know what you want for them or even just 1
Karen
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Hey Phisher let me know if you decide to sell the MH setups. I am currently looking.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Will do. I want to try the vho for a few weeks before a get rid of the mh just to be sure I don't have any problems.

I have a pfo dual 175w with mogel sockets and 2 10k ushios bulbs which need replacing. This ballast will fire the ushios even though ushio doesnt recommend it for there bulbs, however sometimes it takes a few attempts. So if you plan to use those you may want to consider another ballast. I will prob be asking $140 for everything, ballast looks brand new, sockets have some rust on hardware, bulbs need replacing.

Joe