Rio pumps

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kart Racer
Copepod

Rio pumps

Post by Kart Racer »

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with rio pumps. I need another pump to up the flow through my filter and seen these for pretty decent prices or are they cheaper for a reason?

Jeff
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I think most of us use them or have used them at one time. They are not all bad but do have a high failure rate and mine usually won't restart after a power outage.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

How do you get it to start pumping again? Or would I be just money ahead to put another mag pump in my sump and be done with it?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I have to take the impeller cover off and flick the impellar to get it running and then try to put it all together quickly and get it back in the water. It's a Rio 2600 I think.

Danner Mag Drive, Dolphin, Gen X are good submersible pumps. I'm sure there are others. I have a Mag 12 that works good for me.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Kart Racer wrote:How do you get it to start pumping again? Or would I be just money ahead to put another mag pump in my sump and be done with it?
Check the impeller housing... if it is in good shape, then the shaft is probably worn. You can get a new impeller & shaft pretty cheap. Buy 2 at a time though, because shipping is almost 50% of the cost.
Wind me up!
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I have 2 small rio powerheads, rio 180 I think. Work good for many years. I sometimes have same problem as Scott, but seem to with all powerheads, I just knock them against the glass a few times to restart. :D

Joe