Flexible PVC

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

wtrhed
Copepod

Flexible PVC

Post by wtrhed »

Anyone ever used it for closed loops?? I have a small piece on my return that has held up for years and was wondering the pros/cons of useing it for my closed loops.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Are you talking about that semi rigid black pipe? If so I wouldn't use it for anything with pressure on it.

Joe
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Spa flex is the best thing to use. I wish I had used it for everything. It is pretty expensive, that is what kept me from using it when I was setting my tank up in the first place. Lonestar uses it on a closed loop pump. From talking with him at the last meeting he is pleased with it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

That's what I thought. The WHITE flex PVC should work(cost is not an issue). I figured if Hot tubs and spas used them under pretty heavy pressure, then they should work for my application.

Scott, What size/brand pump are you using for your closed loop?? I am planning on cutting one 1" input about midways down the back center and haveing two returns on each side of the bottom plus my sump return. How does this sound?? I will probably go with a Little Giant or an Iwaki around 1200gph. I am pretty knowledgeable about what should be happening(I am no begginer) but this is my first TRULY plumbed tank. I have seen and read about SEVERAL different set-ups and I think this is the way for me. I already have the tank and the stand/canopy(that is the most AWESOME production unit I have seen) will be here in a week. We have not drilled the new tank yet as Dave at Aquaria wasn't real sure what would hold up and what wouldn't. Any suggestions??
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Spa Flex is aweseome, just expensive.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I would get two drains for the closed loop drilled and you might even concider getting them drilled for 1.5 inch bulkheads. That way if you decide to get an Ampmaster or Sequence you can without having to tear down your tank. right now I am using a Gen X Mak 4 but I am saving up for a Sequence Reef-flo Dart. Also spa flex comes in a bunch of different sizes. I needed 1" OD and all Home Depot had was 1" ID.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

My only problem is that I only have acess to a 1 3/4" bit. Do you know of anyone with a larger bit??