Metal Halide suggestion

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brian
Amoeba

Metal Halide suggestion

Post by Brian »

My tank is a 75 gallon. I have 2 4ft 110w 50/50 URI VHO's, 2 4ft 110w Actinic blue URI VHO's. I will be adding 2 175 watt Metal Halides. My question is what brand and k rating should I get with the current combination of VHO's? I am open to all suggestions for brands and k rating because I am new to this kinda stuff so I don't know what to start with to get that nice color in the tank. Also the ballast will be a PFO that runs dual 175's so I don't think I can run pulse start bulbs.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

If you are planning on keeping the 50/50 bulbs you may want to look into the higher K bulbs. Something in the 13k-20k range. It really depends on what corals you are keeping and how much growth you want. I use full spectrum bulbs because I want growth. The Aqua Connect bulbs are new but have had great reviews. They don't seem to have them instock yet here:http://www.aquaristics.com/pro_lighthit.php but they do have them listed.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Well I can change the 50/50's for Actinic blue if thats a better choice. I am not sure but as of know I mainly plan on having 4 fish, soft corals, 2 clams, and maybe some SPS. This is my plans if it helps.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

10k bulbs with 4 actinics is a good choice. You may want to try them with the vho set up that you have now just to see if you like the color. XM and Ushio bulbs are good choices. I think XM's are a little cheaper than the Ushio's. http://diyreef.com/shop/index.php?cPath ... 3e73866edf
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Brian ushio doesnt recommend this ballast be used with their bulbs, the starting mech don't mesh. I have been using them but I did have to swap out bulbs a few times to get some that would fire properly. Ushio also said you wont get as long of bulb life with this ballast.

If you want to try the ushio's I can take you by James' store, he matched internet price ($67.95ea) for me on the bulbs last year-print out the price from seaquestmarine.com and bring it with you. He can also get the xm's but doesnt usually keep them in stock.

Joe
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Yeah I knew the Ushio's did not work correctly. I figured I would try to use the ones I get from you until I find out which ones I like the color of etter and everybody says I should go with. So far I have had a few people I know tell me XM's were good so I will probably try them once the tank is finished cycling.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

These should get you through your cycle. They have yellowed up a bit in the last month, they were much crisper white when new.

Joe
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I didn't know about the Ushio not firing, does it need an HQI ballast like the 400 watt Ushios?
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I personaly like my vho to come on first and go off last so use 4each 50/50 bulbs.....then my MH come on and go off first...1hr after vho come on and 1hr before they go off....these I like to use 20kbulbs...I have used a bluer bulb for vho but makes the tank too dark when mh are not on....this is just my opion and everyone likes something different...that is why everyone does not have a red car.....you will have to try several things to find what you like ....then you will be happy.....
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Scott its something about the start capacitors in the ballast I think. The ushio's have the cap built into the bulb and requires a pulse start (or maybe thats backwards) or electronic ballast. Mine will sometimes light for about 15 sec and go back out, repeat this 2 or 3 times before staying on. Actually it hasnt done this in the last few months just mainly when they were new.

Joe
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

The Ushio 175 & 400's Ushio's need Pulse start, the 250's need Probe start. Seems weird they have the bulbs like that but that's the way it is.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.