Tunze Stream

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

medikall
Amoeba

Tunze Stream

Post by medikall »

How many of you are using these pumps, and do you recommend them? They look cool, but my god they are expensive.
Sean
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I don't have one but everyone I know who has them loves them. I wouldn't put them in a tank smaller than 100g, they really move some water.

Joe
medikall
Amoeba

Post by medikall »

I have a 150 and am thinking of replacing my maxijets with the 6060's. Guess I should have also asked which ones people are using?
Sean
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I have three 6000 on a multicontroller in my 280.

I think that Terry is getting two 6100 w/ multicontroller for his 240.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I have one on a single controller... Love it.

Though it does move the sand around where it wants it... but once the dust.....errrr sand settles.... it provides killer, high flow low velocity pulse wave action.... you can see the polyps on the acros sway back and forth as the water motion changes.......

If you dont have a cover or cage around it... small or stupid fish might very well end up stuck to it. I have to rescue my foxface about twice a week..... He just looks at me as if to say... " Yup, sorry dude.... I could not resist that little piece of algae growing near that turbine housing." So if you have a "Dori" fish, expect to play rescue.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I just purchased 2 x 6100 and a multicontroler today....can't wait till they come in........hard to find and always on backorder...I do suggest the multicontroler (for later expansion) and either the 6000 or 6100 pump (more control) which ever one you can find....marine depot had the 6100 in stock today that is why I chose them over the 6000
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I had one on my 55 gal tank. It was bare bottom. I didn't like it. The tank was way to small for something that big in the tank. It created great flow but it really is a monster IMO. I read someone one time say that you hardly even notice something like that in a larger tank. I'd have to see that to believe it. You can't beat it for flow though for something that has to be in tank.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Just FYI, the 6060 and the 6080(?) are not speed controllable.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I have the poor man's Stream... The Rio Seio 820. Not controllable or as powerful , but for the price I'm happy with it.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Just got back in from vegas tonight about midnight and mine are here...will try to install tomorrow...let the sand storm begin....... :lol: :lol:
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

SaltnLime wrote:I have one on a single controller... Love it.

Though it does move the sand around where it wants it... but once the dust.....errrr sand settles.... it provides killer, high flow low velocity pulse wave action.... you can see the polyps on the acros sway back and forth as the water motion changes.......

If you dont have a cover or cage around it... small or stupid fish might very well end up stuck to it. I have to rescue my foxface about twice a week..... He just looks at me as if to say... " Yup, sorry dude.... I could not resist that little piece of algae growing near that turbine housing." So if you have a "Dori" fish, expect to play rescue.
Aren't they rather poor swimmers ? The one i used to have seems real weak in the swimming area.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Well finally got the pumps up and running....not much on sand storm...(2 X 6100 and multicontroler)....I do want to comment on their quality control. ....The controler did not have the plastic cut out where the photo cell goes....I took a drimmel and cut the hole...also the mount was mis dirlled and had to glue the mount...(hole was cut in wrong place and at a 45 degree angle and rounded out ....threads would not hold.....makes me question thier qc....I have written Tunze on Reef Central Tunze forum...I will watch their replies.....
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

tbmoore wrote:Well finally got the pumps up and running....not much on sand storm...(2 X 6100 and multicontroler)....I do want to comment on their quality control. ....The controler did not have the plastic cut out where the photo cell goes....I took a drimmel and cut the hole...also the mount was mis dirlled and had to glue the mount...(hole was cut in wrong place and at a 45 degree angle and rounded out ....threads would not hold.....makes me question thier qc....I have written Tunze on Reef Central Tunze forum...I will watch their replies.....

I wonder if thier popularity and backordered status has caused these QC "oversights" on the production line? Curious what responses you get.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "