New sump help...

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

New sump help...

Post by KrazyPlace »

I am going to rebuild my sump during my holiday vacation. I currently have a 29g that I use, but it is slightly too tall. I also want to fit my refugium under the tank with the new sump.

In the past when I tried this, my sump & equipment became covered in algae from the refugium light. I want the two to be separate (light & water) to keep the protein skimmer from getting algae covered.

I found these containers online, I'm looking at the 12x18x12 (WxHxL) for a refuge and 12x12x18 for the sump (WxHxL). The refugium will be taller so that it can easily overflow into the sump. Theses are a little pricier than I wanted, so does anyone have any idea where I can get a cheaper source for containers with these approximate dimensions? I need the sump to be about 12" tall and the refugium no more than 18" tall. The total available length is 34" and the depth is about 15".

http://www.theonlinecatalog.com/execpc/ ... uct_id=116

Thanks!
Wind me up!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I personally think someone in the club needs to take up Acrylic construction as a hobby. Takers ??
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Jeff, I saw Terry use a regular aquarium, and he attached some cheap foam insulation-board material to the outside, to keep the light from shining on the sump and skimmer.

Kevin, I'd love to do acrylic, however, it's pretty expensive to get started.... spare acrylic to practice on isn't cheap!
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

It's the dimensions that are messing me up. I don't have a lot of extra room and I need 2 separate containers. The only tank that would fit is the 5.5 gallon tank (16x8x10), and that not close to the dimensions I need.
Wind me up!