Bulkheads?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Bulkheads?

Post by Scott »

Can anyone tell me anything about bulkheads? I want to put one on each end of a 100 gallon, but I am not sure of what size to use. Is there a good standard size that could handle 500 gph each. I need to know some flow ratings, the best place to buy them and any information on placement and drilling that you can provide. I am planning on using a decent return pump (at least 1000 gph), schedule 80 bulkheads, and return though a DIY manifold. I am still in the planning stage so things may change.

Thanks,
Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

bulkhead's holes are usually 1 3/4 inch drilled into the galss, then you can get bulkheads in 1" or 3/4" sizes... i think 1 " overflows and 3/4" returns should hold 500 gph...
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I'm thinking it would be benificial to make the returns and the intakes 1" . The larger the return the less restricted the water flow and therefore better GPH rate. I'm new to the plumbing thing, but seems that's what I have learned in doing my tank. If you went with 1" PVC and wanted to scale the flow back a bit you can with ball valves. Most of the equiptment out today seems fine with 3/4 inch flow with a large pump and most come prefit for 3/4 inch fittings.

If you are going to plumb with flex tubing you could always have an inline reducer to 3/4" for now and still use the 1" bulkheads...and if you wanted to increase to 1" pipe later you could.

Then again I've been know to get carried away! :oops: :P
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

oh yeah....... I learned the hard way. No matter what you read or what works for others...silicone your bulkheads ....silicone your pvc fittings....silicone everything :P
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I am going to only drill for the overflows not the returns. Are there any bulkheads larger than 1"?

Scott
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I have seen 2" bulkheads for sale, but never seen anyone drill for them. Thats ALOT of flow :D . If your talking 1000 GPH then 2 1" bulkheads would handle that for sure.

Anyone else ever seen 2" bulks used and in what setup...I'd be curious to see it :!: Would that increase the noise. Seems to mee like it would .
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I have 2 1" on my overflow, and 3/4" on the return. I really wish the return was already drilled for 1". My return is rated approx 1200gph. With the durso stand pipe setup I wouldn't hesitate to use a larger pump.
I feel my sump is turning over plenty fast though. I wouldn't mind having a closed loop for more flow on the bottom, but this is really pushing a lot of water through the sump already.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have found that 1 inch bulkheads are rated about 700 gph. I haven't been able to find any 90 degree strainers though. Is there anywhere to get them? If I use the straight strainers I think the water level will be too low.

Scott
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

possible to use 90 degree pvc into a straight strainer?
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

This is what I have always seen used. Pull off the barb end and put it in the bulkhead part, the screen slides right on and the water pull keep it from moving at all. Been like that for 2 years in the 29 gallon.
Attachments
pw_907871.jpg
pw_907871.jpg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

If I use the staight strainer, and the 1 3/4 inch hole is drilled 5/8 inch from the top, won't my water level be below the aquarium trim?

Scott
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

What I am talking about is using the 90 degree barb fitting you see in the picture and the strainer on top of it. I will shoot a picture of Amy's barb fitting when I get home. Easier to see it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I think I see what you are talking about. I just thought that there were 90 degree strainers. I haven't been to Rich's in about a year so I can't remember for sure, but what does he use?

Scott
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well I can tell you without that 90, the tank sounds so loud the water sounds like it is hitting the floor, scared the shit out of me when I was taking this shot. Anyway, this is what Rich showed me how to setup works wonders plus you can adjust the water level. Anyway pictures help, here you go.

"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.