? for those of you with the Dr. Pepper drums.

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

? for those of you with the Dr. Pepper drums.

Post by Scott »

I got a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon drum from the flea market that once had Dr. Pepper in them. I have been soaking them in water and vinegar for about a week and I have cut the top off one. It didn't work out like I had planned but it will do.

So, how did you cut the top off of yours? Just for a little humor (for you not me) I used a table saw (can you imagine some idiot standing up on a chair so that he could hold the barrel against the gate to cut the top off (twice, the first cut only cut a band that went around the top)?) Now I need a router to cut a groove in the top so that it sits on the barrel right :roll: .

What did you use to clean it? I am not worried about the smell but I did notice that when I had some vinegar in there and filled it up it worked like a skimmer and there was some brown matter in the bubbles. I got that out and didn't get any more like that so I feel that it is clean.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

I went the easy way and bought one that was already cut. The guy cut the top a couple ionches down and turned it over so it sits on top with no problem. I even went all the way and bought the one with a wooden handle attached.

Jeff
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I never got the smell outta mine at all :( I think others have had similar experience... doesn't seem to increase the TDS readings on the water tho.
-Josh Murrah
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

Jigsaw... and the smell was finally gone from ours after a month of steady use ;)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I thought I knew what these looked like, are they not the same thing Liz had in her formal dining room ? If so they why would you cut the top off of one ? Charlie had a spiket at the bottom for water retrieval.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

To clean it and put a float valve it.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

definately want to cut the top off..... I like the clear ones so you can see the water level inside.... I use one for my auto top off..with an open spigot going to a float vavle in the sump. I allow the barrel to drain almost all the way down then open the RO/DI unit and refill... this allows me to make water all at once so my RO unit is not constantly on.

Another good use is to get two more of em..... take a 5 gallon bucket and mark each clear drum at the 5 - 25 gallon water level.... this is usefull for measuring salt and other additives in top off or treatment water.

I mix makeup saltwater and let it airate in one barrel and then in another I drain the same amount of tank water (another good use for the marks). I use a pump and some hose to transfer water from tank to barrel and vice versa...... no more guessing salt amounts and coming up short on makup water....... :D

Anyway, I never got the sprite smell outta the barrels.... :)
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I cut the tops off the 30 and 50 gallon ones. I am going to use the 15 gallon blue drum to do my water changes.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I've had mine 4 years, still smells like Dr. Pepper.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Brandon wrote:I've had mine 4 years, still smells like Dr. Pepper.
Is the smell of Dr. Pepper the long lost secret to reefkeeping? :lol: Might be...
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Shawn has the Sprite ones. I think that is the real secret. Did you see the growth he had before Ivan.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

That can't be right, I have one of the Sprite ones too hehe
-Josh Murrah
medikall
Amoeba

Post by medikall »

Can someone post a pic of these, I have no idea what your talking about.
Sean
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The 55 and 30 gallon drums are just the normal white plastic translucent drums that are pretty common. I guess they are food grade because they had Coke products in them. The 15 gallon is blue and has a handle.