New to Saltwater, need advice and stuff

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Nusema
Amoeba

New to Saltwater, need advice and stuff

Post by Nusema »

I have a 20 gallon tank that I want to convert from a terrium to a SW reef, jap style and all. The only thing that I need help with really is the lighting, someone recommended a MH system, but I think that may be overkill. I am looking for an Aqualight enclosed system with either two 65 pc's or something similar. If anybody has something similar for sale or any ideas please post or e-mail me @ Nusema@netscape.net. Also, I would like to keep some softies, one or two LPS and an Anemoe in the tank, any advice is welcome. P.S. when is the next meeting and where?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

My advice, stay away from the Anemone until you are advanced.

Problems

1) Will probably roam, or likely to roam around the tank.
2) High lighting requirements.
3) Possibly sting other corals.
4) Occasionally will eat a fish, yes this does happen, even with there Clown friends.
5) High fatality rate, normally most people keep one less than a year.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

6) They live for over a hundred years in the wild.

I have one so I can't say too much. they do roam until they find a suitable spot so if you are determined to get one get it first and let it get settled before you add anything that it can kill. I think 2 65w PC's would be enough but you would likely have to feed the anemone.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Nusema
Amoeba

Post by Nusema »

Okay, so the aneome is a way off idea for now. Can yall recommend a good site to learn the RIGHT way to take care of an Aneome from, I would like to do it the first time right , and I do understand that patience is a virtue especially in Saltwater. So , Any recoomedations on a light system, I am looking into a Aqualight with two 65w PCs and two lunar lights, and what would be a reasonable price on a lighting compariable to this new or used?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

If you have a canopy you can buy a retrofit kit from http://www.ahsupply.com. Other than that I can't comment on lighting fixtures from first hand experience. They have enclosures too for decent prices.

Reef central has a forum dedicated to anemones and clownfish: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forum ... forumid=36
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Depending on the length ? What length are you looking for in the retro ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Nusema
Amoeba

Post by Nusema »

I am looking for it to fit a 20H so, 24" max with 22" or 21'' bulbs . I like the look of the Aqualight complete fixtures. If I do retrofits I will have to make a Canopy. I can get an Aqualight lunar with 2-65w for about $140. If anybody is looking to sell something similar taht would help.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Ahsupply sells canopies for 20h for pretty cheap. http://www.ahsupply.com/finished_enclosures.htm You can use up to two 2 55w pc's in them.