Cheap Moonlight - The Walmart way

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Cheap Moonlight - The Walmart way

Post by Brandon »

Just thought I would pass this on, in case anyone else is interested in this. Was browsing in walmart the other week, and picked up a dark blue rope-light I found in the housewares section for about $6-7. I thought it would be great to do a moonlight effect for night time lighting on my tank. I am real happy with the way it turned out. It looks like the real thing to me.. it is very dim, but enough so that hopefully the fish don't stumble into the anemone.

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I am curious man, those are still for sale this time of year ?? How about holding up to corosion ? Curious about the design.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

They were hanging on the rack in the lighting section. They're not really a christmas type color or anything, it is a very dark shade of blue. They seem to be pretty well sealed to me. I've used some outside for extended periods, lining a pathway and didn't have any problems with them, with rain,etc. That was with some of the clear christmas kind.

It came with a pack of clips, and I just ran it around on the inside of the hood toward the bottom away from the other lights. Set my timer to turn them on when the others go off.

The only thing that concerned me was the heat, this material.. whatever it is, seems to outgas for a bit and smells bad. I left them outside for a bit in the sun so they would do it there.

Didn't turn out cheesey looking at all.. No one would know what the light source was unless I told them :)