generator

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

ShagMan wrote:This is just personal opinion of course, but I've been eyeing the $329 generator that harborfreight carries... yes it's off-brand, but the engine is a carbon-copy of a Honda OHV engine, and they have some really good ratings for the $ spent... only downside is that I don't see a wiring diagram in the owner's guide/PDF, so I dunno about splitting the outlets to run 240v..... probably can only run to one side of the inside breaker box or hookup via extension cord... I'm not an electrician, so I would go the extension cord route anyways probably heheh... rated at 120v @ 20 amps (actually rated at 2600w), and also does 12v @ 10 amps.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=91523

Josh that is the EXACT one I bought today but mine says 3000 watt 3600 peak. I picked it up for $299.00 at PepBoys but mine is packaged under a different name. I mean the housing and colors are an exact match.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Mine does say OHV on the side of it, here it is. The model is the same, but mine has one more power plug, and the meter is changed with a light.

http://www.electricgeneratorstore.com/etqtg3wa6gas.html
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

This it?

- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Yep
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Kevin, that same 3000 watt generator is ALL OVER ebay, they're very common... good price, I think the best you can do on ebay is about $270, but then you get to pay for shipping :lol:

I'm still gonna head by HF soon, maybe this weekend hopefully, and get one ordered.
-Josh Murrah
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

You should have seen people with stuff in their carts for camping yesterday at Walmart. I think if you wait too long the generators will be gone, IMHO

I mentioned it yesterday over in Off Topic, but people were buying generators at Marvins (a hardware store we have up here). One pallet was already empty.....
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea but this little thing coming up the gulf isn't going to do much. If they are gone this weekend I'll go during the week next week or next weekend. As long as we are in hurricane season every place around will get new ones in when they sell out.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

exactly, this storm coming in this weekend isn't gonna be any problem... generators will come back into stock in a week or two... my plan is to order one at HF if they don't have one in stock, and just pick it up whenever it comes in. No biggie.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

They are predicting a very busy season again. Yeah this one will not do much, but hey it is good to be prepared.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3708

better choice

always go bigger

corals cost how much
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

It's in another thread, but that's the exact one I'm buying Terry :) I agree that a little more wattage is MUCH better... plus it has a 240v output in case you ever want to power part of your breaker box too.
-Josh Murrah
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

ShagMan wrote:It's in another thread, but that's the exact one I'm buying Terry :) I agree that a little more wattage is MUCH better... plus it has a 240v output in case you ever want to power part of your breaker box too.
what kind of warranty do you get on that one?
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Here's the item listed on McCulloh's page, it's rebranded to HF's house brand...

http://www.mccullochpower.com/ebproduct ... tmainid=21

Their warranty page doesn't list generators specifically, but all items are either 1 or 2 year for consumer (non-commercial) use generally.

http://www.mccullochpower.com/ebpage.asp?page=warranty
-Josh Murrah