Automation

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brian
Amoeba

Automation

Post by Brian »

Hey guys I was wondering what equipment is needed to automate the tank as much as possible? Things like dosing pumps, kalk reactors, timers, auto top off. I am wanting to do this because when i go out of town and things like that I want to tank to stay healthy and happy.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I am going to africa wed for a month (not my first time)...I use a controler (octopus) for my lights, wavemaker and chiller. There are other controlers that are better. Think the Aqua...something...liz had one....If your reactor is adjusted ok and filled (co2 bottle full also). My water maker is always hooked up to float in sump. That should just about do it except for storm issues....loss of power ect. I have someone come in every day to clean glass, feed, and if needed call rich at progressive...so far no calls have been needed. good luck.. terry
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

Terry

Have a safe trip and be careful. Also one question do you have the tank setup to run on a generator in the event of power loss?

I am looking in to buying one that runs off of propane gas... more money but better in the long run. Does anybody know if there are ones that run off of nat gas. Like my hot water heater?

Beaver
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Harbor freight has three "slab/home" generators, made to sit outside your home and are fully automated, have a weekly excercise, etc.... they can run on either LP or NG, and HF carries three models, complete with transfer panel and everything you need, $2100, $2700 or $3000 depending on size. Whenever Deanna and myself buidl our next house, it'll have one.
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

When the power went out last year I ran the ext cord into the house from the garage...left the garage door cracked for fumes...and just ran my pumps...had tank circulating within 10 min...later I hooked up a desk light, fan, port tv, coffee pot and microwave...all done in 30min....about noon hooked up the frig and freezer....gen are for emergency...unless you got big money keep it simple and safe...short time all you need is pumps....after a day or too then worry about tank lights ect....still think 5500 to 8k is the best size...also too small wire in cheap ext cords will burn stuff up....my gen was under $700 at lowes...made my own cords and outlets too cover load..

corals cost how much???? lose 5 or 6 colonies what alone a whole system

simular

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3708