Dehumidifier

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

medikall
Amoeba

Dehumidifier

Post by medikall »

Has anyone ever thought of using a dehumidifier for tank top off? I realize its not RO, but I would not think its not going to have much more pollution than a big protien skimmer would add to the tank anyway.
Sean
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I know people used to do this more, before RO/DI units were common place. I'd be concerned about trace metals and it picking up contaminants from the air being circulated through it. But then again, your skimmer would be bringing what's in the air into your tank also.... so uhm, no clue.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I would say the water is no cleaner than tap.

Look at your a/c filter or coil, after a few weeks they are filty. The coils on a dehumidifier are the same way. Plus as Brandon said the water will come in contact with Cu and Al.

Joe
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

DON'T do this... dehuidifiers are coated in some sort of chemical to prevent mold, that's what the owner's manual said for mine. Plus, just smell the water, it has a funny smell to it! :)
-Josh Murrah
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Honestly, i would be more concerned about pesticides, mosquito spraying trucks,etc. especially since these compounds stay in the air and in water longer than many metals. Plus, if these get into your tank, it is hard to stop the effects or even diagnose them. Years back, someone sprayed some OFF repellent in the house, next to the aquarium and it ended up killing several things, even with 75% water changes!
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium