New Hang-on skimmer

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

NM354
Copepod

New Hang-on skimmer

Post by NM354 »

With moving the reef tanks to the 75 and i will be looking to get a new hang on skimmer. For the time being i will be using my prizm and a sea clone 100. i was looking to get a Aqua C Remora Pro w/ mag 3. has anyone used this skimmer and if so what did you think about it. or do you have any other suggestions for a hang on skimmer.
Thanks
-Rin
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I used to have one on a 55 gal tank. It worked but not as well as most in sump skimmers do. That mag 3 is rather large and takes up a lot of room. You will want to hide it behind rock if possible but still be able to remove it to clean it if need be. I don't know too much about other hang on skimmers. From what I know the remora pro is one of the better hang ons if you have to go that route.
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

Sorry I can't help with any recommendation, but if you get the mag 3 and are looking to get rid of the sea clone, I would be interested. I'm starting a small 25gal and that would be perfect.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

It may be a little bit before i get it but if your still in need of one when i do i will let you know.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have a bakpak I have been looking to get rid of for many months now. Will part with for $60
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

A Backpak with the Maxijet 1200 mod could be the best HOB skimmer ever. I kept a 55 gallon with one with and without the mod and I would say the effectiveness doubles with the mod. (Kevin, where is my commission :wink: ).
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Err dunno.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

what mod do you need to do to it i just swapped with a buddy of mine a sea-clown for the cpr backpack its a little overkill for a 10 gallon but i want to upgrade to a 20 gasllon soon

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

A MJ 1200 will fin in place of the Rio that they come with. All you really have to do is modify the intake screen so that some flexible airline will fit in there. You need to get the airline as close to the impeller as possible. There are some supports in the intake side that the airline will fit into pretty tight. You may need a valve to control the air intake. On my Bakpak I would adjust it until there was a chamber full of bubbles.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

would you suggest a Backpak over the Remora? if so which backpak would you use for a 75
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have never used a Remora but I liked my CPR. Unless you want to get the double they are basically the same. I actually still have one that I am letting someone else use. I didn't want to sell it and they needed one.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I would have to say that Scott's luck with the bakpak is the first that I have heard. Most of the people I have spoken to, even with modifications, did not like it on larger systems i.e. greater than 55 gallons, unless multiple units were used. They complained that its efficacy and performance were not satisfactory.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I think Rich told me yesterday that he got in some HOB skimmers from Coralvue . No idea on the design or how good they are, but they are local and may be worth checking out. Might be able to see one run in his shop....who knows.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

I just got back from progressive I think I saw what you are talking about. I forget the name but it looks like the same backpak design. They had one running and didn't seem to be pulling much but they might have just cleaned it. I don't really like being the guinea pig when it comes to new products.