Lighting help

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kart Racer
Copepod

Lighting help

Post by Kart Racer »

I am thinking of converting my 125 to a reef. Does anyone have any experience using only T-5 lighting. If so, how many lamps would I need to properly light my tank. I would most likely only have soft and LPS corals. I dont think I would fool with SPS or clams.

Jeff
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I was just reading up on this stuff on RC. It seem that you can put 1 bulb every 2.5 inches. I have read of people going with 6 bulb kits and cutting it back to 4 because 6 was too many. If you want some real good feedback check it out on RC. They have a list of the best configuration of bulbs also. I have a set coming to supliment my MH and so i can cut the MH back a few hrs.
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

I was looking at T-5's to avoid using metal halides if possible. From the little I have read they are cheaper and the bulbs last longer so I cant see a downside to them.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

right.. I'm saying on reefcentral they have tons on posts about them. 6 bulbs should be good on the 125. You could buy them as a unit or just do a kit and stagger them. There aren't any units that cover a 6 ft tank that I know of. You would have to get two of the smaller sized ones. You could also go with 6 5ft bulbs and stagger them 3 on one side and 3 on the other. This would be retro. Its going to cost you with the initial setup but since these bulbs last 18 to 24 months on Icecap ballast you should be good. You can get 2 5ft bulbs on an Icecap 430 ballast and I believe 3 on a 660 ballast. Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.reefgeek.com/products/catego ... 04073.html
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

the only disadvantage with multiple lamp setups (more than four) is obviously the overall cost factor. The overall life of the lamp, in my opinion, is somewhat overrated, as I have heard of significant shifts in spectrum and intensity over the recommended 18 month life. The only other thing is that some people have complained about the coloration of corals under these lamps, though there are far too many other factors that this can be attributed to.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Amphiprion wrote:the only disadvantage with multiple lamp setups (more than four) is obviously the overall cost factor. The overall life of the lamp, in my opinion, is somewhat overrated, as I have heard of significant shifts in spectrum and intensity over the recommended 18 month life. The only other thing is that some people have complained about the coloration of corals under these lamps, though there are far too many other factors that this can be attributed to.
I have read that also but a lot of it seemed to be with people using the workhorse ballasts. I didn't do too much research into it since I just wanted something to add to cut back my mh and this is all that would fit. I have about 3.5 inches in back of the pendent and about 4.5 in front of it.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

There seems to be a wide variety of claims and results. What I have read on Reef Central's SPS Keeper's Forum there are many reefer's from Singapore (and some from the US) that soley use the T-5's and they have outstanding results. Most times it is not the lamps or their spectrum that influence coral color.

I don't recall ever seeing any 6 foot lights so using the 5 foot 80 watt lamps staggered you could get by with 6 lamps. As a side note they also claim that the actinic bulbs are not very useful. They are using blue plus, 10kk and 6500k lamps. Also the Traid ballasts are the best for the money but if you have an Icecap they seem to extend the life of the bulbs.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Thanks for the input and anymore that comes. I would have to buy all new from the ballasts on up so I am all ears for recomendations on those also. On my previous reef I had a PC light so I havent had any dealings with using workhorse, icecap or any other ballsts.

Jeff
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I wish those T5's were in more sizes, like shorter.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

You could hunt around for some icecap 660's on RC or any other forum and try to get them for cheap. Then buy everything else seperate. I hear that one key to these is to have the good reflectors. From what I read the ones that they sell at reefgeek are supposed to be good.

As for bulbs I was told to get the aquablue, which are 11k, for what i wanted to do. I also gathered that the actinics don't provide much but people seem to put one in just for the color.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Scott wrote: As a side note they also claim that the actinic bulbs are not very useful.
I head this as well, lots people are just using VHO for their actinic's when running T-5's.
110chadman
Copepod

Post by 110chadman »

snoopdog wrote:I wish those T5's were in more sizes, like shorter.
same here with my corner tanks all i can get is the 1 mh and 2 vho and one pc bulb

id really like to get the t5 in the smaller size to put in there !!!!

chad
gitting things back in order and starting over!!!
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

snoopdog wrote:I wish those T5's were in more sizes, like shorter.
I haven't seen any shorter than 24 inches but I saw a pucture of one that was 24 inches but it was shaped like a parabola. How short do you need them to be?

If it was me I would go with an Icecap first and Triad second. Also the reflectors that are made for individual lamps are supposed to be the best. You can also aim the light with these better.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.