Help! Lighting, Skimmer

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Welcome Aboard! Rich at Progressive Marine has some pretty good deals on T5 setups, you might want to give him a call and see what he has that would work for you.

We have a prism setup on a 39 gallon in the kitchen. I wouldn't pay much for one but it seems to work pretty well. If it were me for a 29, I'd probably just get one of those cheap Jebo skimmers on ebay , they're under $30 I think.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I have a 29 BF softy tank with this lighting also, and I keep my glass top on, it looks fine and the temp does not climb, I do have the tank sitting under a ceiling vent also which helps keep the temp down.
Karen
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Don't waste your money on a Jebo. You really get what you pay for. We unfortunately carry them at B&B; I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one. I have used both a prizm and a sea clone and personally don't like either of them. If I were to go with another HOB skimmer I would go with a remora. I know someone who may be getting rid of one so I will ask him how much and let you know.
As for lights I would go with the 30 inch dual 65 watt strip. Also Coralife came out with the new mounting legs that flip up to make it easier to access the tank.
new style on top, old on bottom.
Oh yeah, and I would definitely still come to B&B. :D
julie334
Amoeba

:lol:

Post by julie334 »

Thanks for the light advice. Went with the coralife aqualite. looking forward to getting it soon!

Now, on to the skimmer decision. :)
mykpoz
Amoeba

Re: lid

Post by mykpoz »

julie334 wrote:the only thing i worry about with that setup is something trying to jump out.
most people who do that open top with the leg and lights, opt for some eggcrate cut to the dimensions of their tanks to fit inside the ledge.
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

I agree with the B&B guy... Jebo is junk. Don't buy it unless you want to risk a tank going into meltdown.

Just wanted to add too... coralife fixtures can now be mounted from a canopy also. We'll be carrying the parts to do so shortly. The adjustable mounting legs someone posted above are great too, because you can literally just lift the light up and out of the way.

If you have a canopy and are looking to reduce costs I'd definately look into T5 retro kits. They've always been a big hit with our customers. We'll also have some Current T5 fixtures in this month, arriving the week of Oct. 11th.

Good luck & welcome to the site :D

Michelle @ Fat Fish
28851 N. Main St.
Daphne, AL 36526
251-626-0926