Mag 7 \ Heat

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

crsswift70
Copepod

Mag 7 \ Heat

Post by crsswift70 »

ive been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why i cant get my tank below 82 degrees. i thought it was the lights but have changed EVERYTHING and still no go. next i thought about the inexpensive skimmer pump but it also made no difference. the only thing left is the mag 7 pump which is in the sump. maybe i should have suspected it after the lights, but i didnt as i thought they were high quality and meant to be submersed? its too tight to have this thing external and i dont want to drill the sump. has anyone else experienced this and can you suggest a pump of about the same flow that DOESNT heat up the tank?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

submerged pumps always generate heat... that seems a bit high tho... how hot does it feel when ou put your hand on it in the water?
-Josh Murrah
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

well, i took it out tonight and cleaned it again just in case. it was a litttle warm but it didnt feel hot. however, the temp is still about 82 in the morning and theres nothing on but the moonlights, skimmer and the pump. i turned the skimmer off overnight and the temp still didnt drop. that really only leaves the mag pump. i had this same aquarium as a freshwater in the exact same spot and it averaged around 76. we keep the house about that temp.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Oh and make sure the thermometer is correct, maybe get a 97 cent floating from Wal-Mart to be safe. Normally temps like that always point to the lighting.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

i agree, the lighting was the first thing i altered. but, overnight the temp pretty much stays the same. ive always had a stick on thermometer and i thought that it must be wrong. so, i got a new glass thermometer which pretty much told me the same thing. something i didnt mention, i have a 29 gal. tank and a 16 gallon sump. maybe the pump is too much for that small amount of water.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

how many head feet do you have pumping back into your tank?

i've noticed all pumps run hotter the more headfoot you have...

also what size tubing do you have coming out of the mag7? i think it says you should use 1" so you will have to convert it from the smaller to the larger etc...
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

theres about 4' head with 2-45's and a 90 at the tank. so, i think that comes to about 6' head. the connection at the top of the pump was 1/2", so i used 1/2 inch pipe all the way to the tank.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i am assuming your inlet for the pump is open, and not connected to any piping? (i.e. restricting the intake) From there, look at your pumps papers, it will probably tell you to step up the pipe to 3/4 or 1" for the return.

I am not sure if you want to try that though 5bucks for pvc is cheaper then replacing the pump. ;)

I did the same thing... I have a mag18 return where i came out with 3/4" I am working with around 13 head feet, and when I replumb, I should be around 6-7 with larger pipe.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Ok if you are positive that the thermometer is right then the next question if what is your house temperature ? Do you keep a refugium light on also at night, if so then your water might not have time to cool off.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Do you have any fans blowing over the tank/sump that should help out a little. (also bump up evaporation) other than that i would just say drill the sump and run the pump in-line, it would be cheaper than buying a new pump.
My tank run around that same temp (i am running a mag 12 in-sump) and everything seems to be doing fine.
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

to answer several posts, the inlet is completely open other than the small attachment that blocks snails and hermits, the house stays at about 76 deg. at all times. there is a small compact flour. light that stays on all night opposite the tank lights but it doesnt put out much heat. i do have a good sized fan blowing over the refugium 24x7. after further reading and research, ive noticed many aquarists keep their tanks between the 82-84 deg. that mine seems to like. the xenia's star polyps, and inverts i have dont seem to mind so maybe im worrying for nothing? maybe i should have first asked at what temp everyone else keeps their tank?
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

mine stays in the 80-82 range.. but some people must have their tanks @78 or they aren't happy :P
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

My tank stays at 78-80 with 2 mag 7's, skimmer pump and 2 300 gph powerheads in the tank.

Jeff
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

My tank stays at 78-79 with two mag24's :)
-Josh Murrah
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

well now see.... ya'll got me worried again! josh, the xenias and star polyps were yours and they are doing great. im the guy that needed the green for the refugium and brought over the teddy bear container! i appreciate your generosity.