Heaters for small Cubes

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Heaters for small Cubes

Post by snoopdog »

I will need to start thinking about heaters for my small tanks soon. They are 12x12x12. I was looking at this and was wanting some feedback from you guys.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 004+113767
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I know someone who has one on a twleve gallon JBJ NanoCube. He likes it. I do not think he has had it long enough to talk about durability though.

Phil
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I just want to make sure they are not obtrusive.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

On the NC there are chambers in the back to hide the heater. I don't have a good solution for your tank unless you can just get any heater and camouflage it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

NM354 had a 7 cube like that. I do not know what he used for heating-dont think he needed it with all the equipment heating the water. What all is on these tanks? A heater may not be necessary, even in winter.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

The halide over mine kept it nice and warm. I was able to keep it around 78 with a 4" fan blowing over it all day. BTW that tank is still for sale with all the equipment and stand and canopy for $150
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Halide over a nano?

One tank is on an outside wall and the other is in the coldest office in the building so we think that it will be necessary to place a small one in each tank to maintain the appropriate temp.
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

It's tiny, but can you adjust it?
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Amyjoe wrote:Halide over a nano?
yup.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Does anyone think this heater has a dial on it ? Wal-Mart has one for $5 but has no dial, how in the hell does that work or does it ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

No dial, I'm pretty sure its got a built in thermostat to keep it at fresh water temperatures -74'ish.

Says this:
Helps to increase the water temperature of small tanks by 4 to 5 degrees over the ambient room temperature.
And that's for 2-5 gallons.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

During the summer season or if the room temperature reaches or exceeds 76°F, unplug the heater.

Please note:
If the heater should operate in a partially dry or completely dry situation, it will not sustain any damage, but the heating element might reach a temperature as high as 176°F. Check that the heater never works dry and be careful that it is not in contact with materials that can be damaged by the temperature in case it operates dry. Be certain that the heater is not in direct contact with the following: bottom of the tank, water plants, decorations, or other objects that might be damaged by the temperature.
Ack
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

By the way wal-mart has the same style heater for small tanks for $6.96, very compact. It says "DO NOT use in tanks larger than 5 gallons", I cannot understand why, these things do not have a thermostat.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have one in a 2 gal betta tank, I put it in there last night with the water temp 72 and today it was 75. I would be much more worried about putting it in a really small tank, it would probably hardly noticable in anything over 5 gallons. But they're neat little things and about as unobtrusive as you can get. I just wish it has some kind of temp shut-off, because I don't want to raise the temp too fast.