Return pumps?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Return pumps?

Post by Scott »

I am looking for a new return pump. So, I want to get some input from anyone and everyone about pumps. Let me know what you have used or are using that you like or even didn't like so I know what to stay away from.

This is what I need: quiet (I have hardwood floors so even my GenX is relatively loud in my house and you couldn't hardly hear it at Kevins), 500-1000 gph and it can't add too much heat to the water (so T-3 or T-4's are out of the question). It doesn't matter if it's external or submerged.

I have a Mag 12, Mag 5 and a GenX Mak4 but I really don't think any of those meet my needs.

TIA,
Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Have you tried the mag 12 externally? It should give enough flow, I know they say it's not recommended to use externally, but I've used the same mag 9.5 for almost 4 years and it's fine without the heat problems.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have harwood floors so I wouldn't use a Mag external. I just can't take that chance.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Scott, I wouldnt use the Mag 12 if you are concerned about heat and noise. I can tell you from experience that it contributes to both. Try one of the centrifugal pumps, like a dolphin. I have heard one in action, and it is very quiet and is air cooled, so less heat in the water.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I, on the other hand, have used Mag pumps externally ever since I can remember for my return pump. I have never had a heat or reliability issue with any of the ones I have owned and used.

I am currently using a Mag 24 (actually pond drive, cheaper)for the return pump in the 225. It is throttled back to about 30% or so to pump 650 gph. It is external sitting on a piece of aircraft foam connected on both sides using a little bit of spa-flex. It makes absolutely zero noise.

I have three 250 watt DE MH and three 140 watt vhos completely enclosed in my canopy with only two small fans pumping air into it. In addition to the Mag drive and lights, I have a quiet one 1200 driving two phosban reactors in the sump and a Mag 7 driving a UV sterilizer also in the sump. Not to mention to 800 gph recirculating Eheims on the skimmer. My house temperature is set to 74 at night and 76 during the day. My tank temperature ranges between low 77s to high 78s.

I assume you do not want to run them external because you feel the housing will break? I can understand that. I have never had that happen to me. I also epoxy my floor joints in my stands so that water cannot reach the floor unless it over flows my stand. I have never had a pump failure that spilled water. I have spilled numerous gallons with skimmers, however.

Your mileage may vary, but I say anything that saves money for more important stuff is a good thing.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I don't like the power the mags use either but I have had one housing brake on my 12.

The Dolphin pumps are more than I really wanted if you are talking about the Ampmasters. All I want is maybe 1000gph max flowing through my sump although I am going to T off the return pump for the phasban reactor and the cancium reactor.

Thanks,
Scott
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yes, I was referring to Ampmasters. I figured at some point that you may have wanted to use a pump for some ancillary device, that is why I thought these pumps would work well. If you were to get a pressure rated one and split the difference between devices, I think it would be worthwhile. These are much more energy efficient for the water volume they pump. Also, throttling these pumps down has very little effect on efficiency or performance, unlike mags. I know there are lots of other pumps out there, just can't remember them now.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have Sequence Dart that I am going to use on the closed loop. They are a good but cheaper than the Ampmasters. I may look into another one. I actually have a Dolphin motor but the wet end is trash. The last time I checked a wet end was almost as much as I paid for my Sequence.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I have owned a Dolphin and owned a Sequence. The noise is about the same. I think they are both good pumps but the sequence seems to be made better. I plummed the ampmaster and turned it on and it was great. After a little while, the pump kindof settles down probably 1/4 inch as the rubber and carpet was flattened. That small amount was enough to make the impeller hit the housing and make a loud clicking noise. The sequence pump housing seems to be much stronger.

I like to run a pressure rated pump as the return as I can use the same pump to feed a skimmer. It seeems to work out cheaper that way.

Jeremy
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

Jeremy's piont is valid.... Use one nice pump and run your skimmer and your tank.

Wish I had done that!

But had the mags so I used them.

Beaver

Maybe you could use Billy's hampster wheel.....
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have a Euro reef with a needlewheel impeller so I don't think that running it off the return would be very efficient.

I would run a calcium reactor, which takes almost no flow and sometimes a phosban reactor which uses maybe 100 gph. So now I am thinking a Mag 9.5 or an Ehiem. If I find a AM 2100 used I might get it if I can sell some other stuff.