calcium reactors

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

reefer21
Amoeba

calcium reactors

Post by reefer21 »

are calcium reactors hard to use? I want to get one for my new tank to better help my lps corals and promote good coraline growth.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

To me they are actually easier than dosing. It has taken me a while to find the right amount of B-Ionic to dose. I even started at 60 ml but I really didn't think that it would take three times that to keep my ca and alk right. And the levels fluctuate a lot over the course of a day and I hope that I don't forget onw day, My alk will drop for 10 to 7dkh in two days. The hardest this with a reactor is waiting to take the next measurement. The first time ot took me a while, the second time it took one week and I didn't have to change anything for 2 months. Setting up try to get the effluent alk at about 40dkh to start. You really need to know the alk (or ca) usage. I did that by measuring one day and then the next at the same time without dosing anything. There is a formula that tells you what the effluent alk level should be and what the flow whould be given your usage. After that all I did was watch the effluent ph.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

There is some good info and other links here: http://cnidarianreef.com/ Look under equipment and then Ca reactor and I think more info.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

thanks for the info :D