MH or T5?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

dave3112
Amoeba

MH or T5?

Post by dave3112 »

I am setting up a 50 gal AGAIN and was wondering if I should go with the T5's this time. I am using MH with great success and utility bills to prove it! :shock: Can I keep sps and clams with T5? and is this a good deal?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=11872

I know I would have to change the bulbs but I thought that was a good price for the set up.

Dave
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I have seen some super pictures of SPS tanks running only T5. They have them packed in though. They are typically using the individual reflectors and running the Icecap ballasts. The best tank i saw was on RC and the guy was changing the bulbs every 6 to 9 months because of the spectrum shift.

need to edit this to say that goes against what they have been marketed as. They are said to last 12-18 months. The guy who switches them ever 6-9 has done spectrum tests and found out that they go to crap at abotu 6-9 months. From what I understand they maintain their brightness but change spectrum.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The Icecap overdrives them. They last longer on a Triad or ballast made for T5's.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm not sure if this guy was using icecap or not. I think he had a tek setup plus some other ballast running. He had about 8 or 10 bulbs crammed in the canopy. But whatever he was doing the T5s looked great and the coral looked great.