Retro-fit Kits

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

nm377
Amoeba

Retro-fit Kits

Post by nm377 »

I am going to be starting up a 30L soon so I am trying to get an idea about lighting. I want to do a MH set up with 2 actinic PC's, an dI was looking online and found a Captive Sun kit for about $350. Is Captive sun a reliable brand and is that a price I should look at or are there any cheaper that anyone knows abuot. Thanks for the help!
2 10g nanos
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Are ou looking for the whole thing or just the halide? I haven't heard of Captive sun before. Do you have a breakdown of the contents?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
nm377
Amoeba

Post by nm377 »

Looking for the whole thing, I want the MH with the PC's powering the actinics, here's what the description said on the website:

Features:

* Polished aluminum corrosion-proof reflector.
* 36" long, 10" wide and 4" high. All lamps are included.
* Remote ventilated, enclosed ballast with 10` power cord
* Independent on/off controls for Metal Halide and PC lights
* Electronic power compact ballast
* Quick-disconnect plugs between fixture and ballast for easy assembly and maintenance

Note:

* 36" MH + PC fixtures and retrofits are configured with 2 x 55 Watt Power Compact bulbs.
* Includes 175W 5,500K Metal Halide bulb (Upgrades Available) and two 55W actinic PC bulbs
2 10g nanos
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

If you want to by it all at once that doesn't look like a bad price. You are going to have to upgrade the bulb. You definately do not want to use a 5500k on a reef tank.
nm377
Amoeba

Post by nm377 »

Go 10000K??
2 10g nanos
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea, 10k if you are using actinic bulbs also. Some decent bulbs are the AB bulbs. I just purchased some 10k coralvue reeflux bulbs and sold my phoenix 14k bulbs. I like them. They still have a hint of blue but no were near as much as the 14k bulbs.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I like my XM 10k, Salt'n'lime gets some awesome color from Ushios, I have heard and seen some great pics of the Reeflux lit tanks but remember lighting is only a small part. Nutrient export, circulation and stability are important too. Even moreso if you are planning on keeping SPS.

I haven't fired up my 14k Phoenix (DE) yet. How did you like yours Drew?
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Check this site out for some different info and pics of 250w metal halide bulbs http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea i heard the xm's get some great color also. The other thing you have to remember is that all ballasts have different effects on the bulbs as well. So while it may look pure white with one ballast it may have a yellow or blue tint with another.