a good RO unit?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

reefer21
Amoeba

a good RO unit?

Post by reefer21 »

I have been using store bought distilled water for about 3 weeks now and I just can't see myself buying water jugs every other week. Plus it seems like people are looking at me weird for buying 20 jugs of distilled water. I have decided to bite the bullet and I'm going to buy a RO unit, is there any advantages over other brands out there? What's the difference between a RO unit vs. a RODI unit?
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

Haha, I buy distilled water at the store too. I'm not ready to spend the money on a RO unit just yet though.
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

RO = Reverse Osmosis
DI = DeIonized

You want an RO/DI. If you don't you'll have to add a distiller onto the RO. Basically, it makes the water that much more pure.

Kent Marine makes good units. It all depends on what gpd you want.
-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Ebay.. less than $99 shipped. A lot of us are using RO/DI filters from ebay.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
lwready
Amoeba

RODI

Post by lwready »

There is a Kent Marine unit for sale in the Buy/Sale/Trade thread.

I saw the great deal on filter cartridges listed for Sam's. Since I am not a member does anyone have a recommendation for another source?

Do y'all get refills off Ebay?

Thanks,
Larry

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. Gandalf
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I Absolutely do get my replacement filters from ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-1-set-5pcs-Reve ... dZViewItem

I don't think anything locally can touch the prices for the filter elements from ebay.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
GeoGriffin
Amoeba

Post by GeoGriffin »

I definatly recomend getting a RO/DO unit if you can. I was using distilled water from wal-mart for about 4 months and started having wicked hair alge blooms. I had it tested for phosphate it and low and behold it had some in it. Not much but at the rate I was adding it to the tank it really started to build up causing the blooms. I bought a RO/DI unit about 1 month ago and I'm finnaly starting to get the alge under control. (not gone, just under control:). I got one with the sink fauset and 2- 4gal holding tanks. One tank fills up with RO water which goes to the sink for drinking/tea/coffee and the other tank holds RO/DI water to fill up my containers for the tank. I love it.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Dude that membrane price is really cheap, I know where mine is coming from. Question do you guys wait till the water no longer flows or till you hit the year mark. I am wondering if I can stretch mine out longer than a year.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

Now I know not to get distilled water from walmart. If it has phosphates in it, it cant be truly distilled.
GeoGriffin
Amoeba

Post by GeoGriffin »

Six, the phosphates were in the 1 gal Great Value distilled water jugs. They also rasied the price in the last few months up to like $0.64/gal. That also helped me switch. It may be that they get their water from diffrent sources because I have heard people say they have been using it for years with no problem. I just know that the distilled stuff they sell in Andalusia has phosphates. I recommend you take a new jug in and have it tested. Who knows, maybe yours is fine.
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Actually, I've been using distilled for about 3-4 months now also. Thanks for the heads up ill have it checked out.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

Beaver told me one day to get RO and not RO/DI....didn't say why...that's just what he told me. I haven't gotten one yet but plan on it one day. If all of yall are saying to get RO/DI then why would he tell me to just get RO instead?
-Kristyn
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

I'm not sure. If you payed the money for an RO unit you'd atleast want it to deionize the water for you...
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Just don't drink any, I have heard mixed reports of drinking DI water.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

That is kinda understood when I said ro
Just slang