a good RO unit?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

Thanks everyone for there opinons. I will be buying a RO/DI unit probably tommorrow. I used this guide to help me even more... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/artic ... 21&aid=361
snoopdog wrote:Just don't drink any, I have heard mixed reports of drinking DI water.
a quote from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/a ... CatId=4453

"These Kent Marine RO Units incorporate a TFC or Hi-S membrane so they can be run on municipal or well water systems. Chlorine can damage a TFC membrane so proper maintenance is essential. The water in our taps is filled with all sorts of toxic materials. Among these can be lead, mercury, arsenic, chromium, pesticides, herbicides, industrial pollutants (carbon tetrachloride, vinyl chloride, benzine, etc), gasoline, trihalomethenes (from reactions between organic matter and chlorine), chlorine, radium, and radon gas to name a few. Some substances can be toxic to humans and to aquarium fish. Phosphates and silicates are also very common in tap water. Though usually not toxic to humans, these substances cause undesirable algae growth in all types of aquariums"

"Utilizing reverse osmosis will remove the majority of these contaminants from the water. These Kent Marine RO Units add a post deionization resin filter to polish the R/O water to 99% removal rate. This highly filtered water is not recommended for drinking due to its lack of mineral and possible odd taste. See the front page for the typical removal percentages. Actual percentages will vary depending on exact chemistry, temperature, pressure and TDS of your water"
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

No I remember you specifically told me "Don't get RO/DI...get RO only."
-Kristyn
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

I dont recall telling you that but if I did it was a mistake. I successfully keep acros and other senstive sps coral with just a ro unit no di so maybe that was the misunderstanding.... In the future I plan to add the di cart. on but not at this time. Sorry for the inconvience.

Beaver
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

No problem. Now I know I need one!
-Kristyn