newbie builds his first sump

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

DannieH42
Amoeba

newbie builds his first sump

Post by DannieH42 »

I have been working on building a sump for my 125 for quite some time. I had some trouble with the dimensions at first because the entire thing had to fit under my stand. This meant it had to be less than 16" wide. I bought a "tidepool" wet/dry filter and sump for $25 from one of the guys locally. I figured that that was not enough volume so I also got a rubbermaid container and connected it to the tidepool with 2 bulkhead connectors and some 2" hose. I tried to glue some baffles into it but could not get them to stick. Instead I bought 2 samller containers and sat them one inside the other. The outer one is taller than the high water level and has holes cut in the bottom side opposite from where my skimmer will be going. The height of the innermost container is set to prevent overflowing the tank incase I loose suction on the overflow box. I built the overflow box myself. I used 2 tupperware containers. I cut up the lid from the large container to make a holder for the two sides of the overflow.
This being the first one I have ever built I am very happy with it. My wife was terified that I would flood the living room, but so far not a drop. Below is a drawing of the design and some snapshots of the actaul installation.
Look it over and let me know what you think. Or if you see something I missed please tell me.
Attachments
sump design1.bmp
sump design1.bmp (124.5 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
tidepool.JPG
tidepool.JPG (47.93 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
rubbermaid.JPG
rubbermaid.JPG (68.02 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
"The right to offend is far greater than anyones right not to be offended"
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

looks fine. The only thing I would worry about not knowing your system is if the power shuts off will the second container hold the extra water that will flow down the overflow or back down the return line.
Bkndsdl
Amoeba

Post by Bkndsdl »

Glad to see you got my old tidepool sump goin, Daniel!

Just a note: that biowheel isn't doing a thing with the sump that full of water....I'd take it out, but I guess it doesn't hurt to leave it in.

Can we get some pics of that overflow?
-Mike
http://bkndsdl1.home.mchsi.com/
Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?
There is NO SUCH THING as a hot water heater.
DannieH42
Amoeba

Post by DannieH42 »

I calculated the cubic inches of water per inch of height in my aquarium and the cubic inches of water per inch of height in the sump. There is only a 1/2 inch of water over the overflow. If power fails and the tank drains down to the point where the siphon breaks there should still be a 4 inch safety margin before overflowing the sump.

Yeah I did not figure the biowheel was doing anything but just have not gottten around to taking it out. Thanks for the tide pool it is working out great. :D
"The right to offend is far greater than anyones right not to be offended"