ASM G-3 Skimmer

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

megelBeagle
Amoeba

ASM G-3 Skimmer

Post by megelBeagle »

Anyone have any experience with the ASM G series skimmer. It didn't come with any documentation and I don't know crap about setting this thing up. Also, I hear there are some modifications you can make to this thing to increase efficiency. Anyone tried?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Just get it in about 9 inches of water, I think, and plug it in. I did a mod to it but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it yet. I'm getting some good stuff out of the tank but I just don't know if its worth the hassle of having to adjust the raiser tube every time I clean the collection cup.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i have the asm g1x, and it seems to skim very wet ... not sure if there is anything i can do to correct that...
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

ASM are great skimmers. I ran a G-4 for a long time. Pretty much just plug and play. Sit it in 6-9" of water. Adjust the foam to about 3" below the top initially and dial it in wetter or dryer from there.

If it is brand new or your tank has been very underskimmed you may want to try a lower initial foam height or it may go crazy on you.

My G-4 was very stable once I got it where I wanted it.

I never had any reason to do any of the mods on mine. It worked great for me as is.
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

Redfish wrote:ASM are great skimmers. I ran a G-4 for a long time. Pretty much just plug and play. Sit it in 6-9" of water. Adjust the foam to about 3" below the top initially and dial it in wetter or dryer from there.

If it is brand new or your tank has been very underskimmed you may want to try a lower initial foam height or it may go crazy on you.

My G-4 was very stable once I got it where I wanted it.

I never had any reason to do any of the mods on mine. It worked great for me as is.
How do you adjust the foam :?:
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

The discharge tube is a tube inside a tube. By raising the discharge tube you raise the foam level.
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

Redfish wrote:The discharge tube is a tube inside a tube. By raising the discharge tube you raise the foam level.
It's all coming together now :idea: :idea: :idea: Thanks!
Are there alot of bubbles left in the discharge? Should I worry about it being too close to a return?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Well the mod I made was to the riser tube. This thing was really tight in my sump and the water coming out of the skimmer was coming out rather fast. The foam didn't help with lowering the noise and I was also getting water splash becuase of the size of the sump. I added some pvc to this and had it come back around and back into the sump so there was no noise and the water didn't splash outside of the sump. I have to lower the tube every time I empty the cup because of the back pressure which fills the cup with water. When the tube is lowered the cup is no longer the losest exit for the water. It did however eliminate the splash and noise and I marked on the riser tube and body where the height should be set when i have to clean the cup.
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

I'm not sure where to set this riser tube? How do I know it's set right?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

did anyone do the gate valve mod? I have been thinking about doing this to my G2
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

NM354 wrote:did anyone do the gate valve mod? I have been thinking about doing this to my G2
mine is a modification of the gate valve mod but there is no gate valve.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Ha! a gate valve mod-mod.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea well i had the pvc laying around and didn't think i need the gate valve for what i really wanted to do.... eliminate the water from splahing out of the sump because of the size and how i had to fit the skimmer in, so i just took the concept for the gate valve mod and it has worked so far. My only complaint is having to lower the riser tube every time I restart the skimmer after cleaning the collection cup.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I am not sure if they are the same but I have an Euro-reef 8-2 with the gate valve mod and I am not all that impressed with it. I really think my Nautilus TE took out more gunk per dollar than the ER. I may be looking into a MRC or some of there Beckett skimmer and selling the ER.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I'd get one of the becketts or downdrafts if I had the room for one (and its pump). Wouldn't mind a deltec, except for the pricetag.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium