Need help with skimmer choice

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

steveanddanni
Amoeba

Need help with skimmer choice

Post by steveanddanni »

I have basically narrowed my choices down to two. The ETSS Reef Devil and the AquaC Ev-180. This is for a 75 reef tank. Anyone have and advice on either?
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stores/ ... ory_ID=548

I'd probably get one of the Euro-Reef blems if I had to buy a new skimmer.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Unfortunately, my opinion would be ASM.

I have owned both of the proposed models and prefer the ASM over either.

Those skimmers will work, but will be much less consistent than the ASM. They will also both use more power be much louder and cost more upfront most likely.

If you could find a Euro-Reef blem with the new pump(s) for the same price as the ASM, that would also be an excellent suggestion as pointed out by Brandon.
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

Brandon wrote:http://commerce2.i2net.com/able5stores/ ... ory_ID=548

I'd probably get one of the Euro-Reef blems if I had to buy a new skimmer.
So which of these would you recommend for a 75? From what I understand, you should always buy a skimmer rated larger than your tank,but is there such a thing as overkill?

I am completely open to suggestions.
My friend has the ASM G3 and seems to like it.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I second the ASM. The AquaC EV 180 is a good skimmer, but finicky, especially if this is your first one. I only have 2 complaints about it-- the injector gets clogged very easily (thus necessitating a filter sock constantly, which I am not too fond of) and it needs to be driven with a pump stronger than recommended.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I didn't get into the details on the reef devil and Aqua problems but Amphiprion is right on the money.

You are going to pay dang close to $400.00 for the Aqua with a pump. You can get a G-4X for about $425.00. That would take you a long way in the future. It is easy too convert it to recirculating which improves its efficiency by a factor of two in my opinion.

A G-3 would be fine for the 75 though.

Do not let anyone tell you you can over skim. It doesn't work that way. You can only skim available volatile organics and solids FASTER with a bigger skimmer.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I also found a nice German site that (depending upon your credit card company and its benefits, etc) that has the Deltec line of skimmers priced and shipped VERY cheap for no import taxes. This is an excellent line of skimmers, and i have priced an APF 600 with shipping for only $477.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I also found a nice German site that (depending upon your credit card company and its benefits, etc) that has the Deltec line of skimmers priced and shipped VERY cheap for no import taxes. This is an excellent line of skimmers, and i have priced an APF 600 with shipping for only $477.
Can you give the address of that site? I have pretty much decided I don't really like the whole injector idea and have been looking at H&S and Deltec, a little pricey....but I really want to set this new tank up right if I can. I really like the H&S A150-F2001, but don't think I can manage that one. The AP 600 was a little cheaper, but at even close to that price, Id go the APF600.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Sue, you were looking into either an H&S or Deltec. Here is what a Deltec can do in two days (only 2 small fish in a 75, fed once or twice per week):
Attachments
Aquarium 081resize.jpg
Aquarium 081resize.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Now that's what we like to see! :lol:
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

I just installed an Aqua C ev 180 on my 75. (Amphiprion's old one) I will let you know how i like it after it gets broken in.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Well, I bit it and ordered a H&S A150-F2001. I just keep telling myself I'm going to do this tank right all the way. :lol:
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

you shouldn't be dissapointed :D