Skimmer Opinions

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

andre_slim
Amoeba

Skimmer Opinions

Post by andre_slim »

I am new to the hobby and will be setting up a 100 gal tank. It came with a ASM G-1 skimmer. My question is should I stick with this skimmer or is there a better one that you would recomend to use. I am looking to get the best water quality. The tank will be set up for fish, soft corals and maybe some LPS. I will stay away from the SPS corals.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I am not sure about the size but that skimmer is too small. I had a 100 with a Euro-reef 8-2 which I think is like a G-3 and it was adequate. I could have gotten a new pump and it would have done better but I started setting up another tank and then had to go out of town on business.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

If you want to stick with asm then the G3 should do you fine like scott said. Or you could look into getting a deltec, H&S or Euro Reef, they might cost more but worth every penny.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I have tried many skimmers (different designs, etc), and so far, my Deltec APF600 has done better than any of them. I am amazed at the amount of skimmate it is able to pull out of my ultra low stocked 75 gallon. The main selling point for me was that this skimmer is amazingly consistent in what it does. Excellent skimmers (albeit quite pricy, though).
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium