Selecting a Closed-Loop pump

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

megelBeagle
Amoeba

Selecting a Closed-Loop pump

Post by megelBeagle »

I'm in the process of setting up a closed loop system and am trying to find the best pump for the job. I bought a used Pan World 100-PX. My problem is it sounds like a jet engine in my living room. Does anyone know if that is a normal for this pump or if it is just loud because of wear and tear?
Is there such a thing as a quiet external pump?
I need about 800 ghp.
Any input would be much appreciated.
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Of course there is. My GenX Mak4 was very quiet for an external pump, I think the output was close to 1200gph. I mean you could hear a small amount of fan noise with the door open but for was quiet when the door was closed.

Most quality external pumps should be very quiet, my guess is it may have extensive wear, the brushes/bearings could be worn out if it is a true external pump.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

If you look at the description of this pump here.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pum ... sp?CartId=

You will see it is of an Iwaki design and described as quiet, I think you have an old pump and may need reworking.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
jagal
Amoeba

Post by jagal »

I'm not sure if anyone knows it, but the Dolphin Pump manufacturer is located right here in Pensacola. They sell refurbished pumps that are just like new from their warehouse at a substantial discount.

Might want to call them and see what they have available. (850) 434-9880

jagal
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

It was posted, but a long time ago.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Do they sell refurbished externals?? I know they have ebay auctions, but I didn't know about selling directly refurbs.. that is waaaaay cool!
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
jagal
Amoeba

Post by jagal »

They sell refurbs from their smallest submersible to their largest external. It just depends what they have on hand. What the girl told me was, they take all the pumps that get returned where the customer does not want it back, and then they piece them together to make a new whole pump.

jagal
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

Just an update to this. I ended up getting a Blueline Velocity t3 and it works great. Extremely quiet. It did raise the temp 2 degrees though. :?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
GeoGriffin
Amoeba

Post by GeoGriffin »

Just in case you still have that Pan World, you might want to check out this link for a mod to quite it down. I was thinking about getting a Pan World and doing playing with this mod for a closed loop on my 110 I'm setting up. I just didnt want to get a new one and have it crap out due to it:) Would be a fun test. Check it out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... did=828812