So many options

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

jerryf
Amoeba

So many options

Post by jerryf »

We finally got our MH's and fans installed! I cant wait to spend the rest of my children's inheritance on the tank. Only problem is, where to begin....clams, stony corals....The pressure is killing me!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Most people begin with soft corals. These are the most forgiving of water conditions and tank cycling (not necessarily the inital nitrogen cycle). Some people that have been in the hobby for years say to wait 12-18 months before getting into SPS. While not totally true, I say start with easy stuff, but keep in mind that some soft corals can stunt the growth or kill stonies. Sinularia and devil's hand corals are some but there are others. Running carbon and overskimming can combat some of this chemical warfare but why not make informed decisions in the beginning and hopefully trade or sell the softies when you are able and are ready for SPS.

BTW, I have 3 leathers in a 55 gallon with 20 or so SPS frags. I do see growth but not like I see in other tanks. I am going to start documenting the growth and when I get rid of the leathers see if there is any real truth to it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
jerryf
Amoeba

Post by jerryf »

That would definitely be something I'd like to know about. I have a Devil's hand already. I've had my tank running for about 14 months. The last 5 months with 2 power compacts. I've wanted clams since I started. I'm probably not going to go overboard with the corals. However, I think I'd still like to add some zoos and shrooms.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I have learned that SOME soft corals become over powering very quickly. My suggestion is to start with some softies like mushrooms or some LPS's like frogspawn or hammer. I think you should stay away from the colt corals as the get VERY large and take over the tank.

Just my 2 cents!

Elizabeth
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

In my next tank i probably will not do SPS again cause they make me cry when i see them die in just hours for no apparent reason :evil:
I am thinking i need to run the calcium reactor again, just because i have the damn thing, so probably clams. They are very very beautiful and Derasa clams are pretty forgiving for water conditions.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

If you have it you might as well use it. I can't wait to get my calcium reactor set up. All I have to do is get my 20 lb. :shock: tank filled to be ready for the new tank.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Did you get a reactor ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Yep, found me a used K2R with controller, gages with solonoid, 20 lb CO2 tank, pumps and media for one hell of a price. I am going to set the 100 up right the first time.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Alright i will bite, how much.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

$250 shipped. The ph controller/monitor is a cheapo Milwalkkee (sp?) but still a great deal. All I have to do is get the tank filled. That will cost me a whopping $12.