The endless debate: good skimmer for around $200 or so?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

The endless debate: good skimmer for around $200 or so?

Post by ShagMan »

Looking around and the two ones I like are the Kent Nautilus TE and the Euro-Reef knockoff, ASM's... I think the ASM's would be the best...

The Kent Nautilus TE w/ pump will run me about $190
the cheapest price I found on a All-Seas Marine G-1 Protein Skimmer is $230 shipped.

What do you guys think? Is there something else good out there? It'll be an in-sump for a 100G.
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

do the nautalus, they kick ass, i have one on my tank here
Attachments
right-side-of-sump.jpg
right-side-of-sump.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I think the kent TE's are a great deal. I'm very pleased with my "My Reef Creations" skimmer also.. I think Beckett's rock.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Reefer i am still waiting on that partition to go ahead and break lose. Looking even more bowed in that picture. Thats not glass is it ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

OK, I got the skimmer of my dreams delivered and working last night. It's an All Seas Marine G2, ran by a Sedra 3500 pump. I paid $164 total for it, slightly used. It's a mirror image of the more expensive Euro-Reef skimmers, down to using the same pump w/ the needle wheel impeller. It's rocking! Here's a picture of it, this is 2.5 hours after it was setup. Yeah, I'm serious!

-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I think you found your solution. That cup tube isnt in your sump is it ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I looked when I got it, and I sure don't see any sort of drain tube... I'll check that out tonight, good idea... I sure hope this is what turns my tank around, my chemicals are all perfect already, so there must be some bad crud in the water.
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

its plexigalss by the way, and its still rockn
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Kevin, I checked the other night, and there's no drain tube.

I'm having to clean this thing about once every two days, it's amazing.

My corals are starting to turn around, and the hair algea is lessening already.
-Josh Murrah
Xster
Astrea snail

Euro-reef type skimmers

Post by Xster »

Man, I love this thing. I just got a Euro-reef 12-2 and I mean this things kicks ****. Some serious dry gunk comes out. The zillions of micro bubbles in the body of skimmer shooting up to the top is simply stunning to watch. I would definitely go with one of these types of skimmer again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I can't imagine the *12*-2... that is a friggin huge skimmer.. bet the collection cup from that will smell ripe after a week of skimming.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I notice the smell of the skimmate varies on skimmers. Alot of times mine will put out skimmate with zero smell. Now if you have curing rock the smell is horrible. When i first got my tank i could not stand to clean the skimmer.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
JPerkins
Amoeba

Post by JPerkins »

I just bought a euro reef es2 with sedra 3500 pump from Aquarium Fantasies for $220.

Haven't hooked it up yet but am dying to. From everything I have heard, they are pretty nice.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I can tell you right now, this skimmer is as good as gold... almost ALL my hair algea is GONE, the cyano is COMPLETELY gone... which is amazing, and my corals are looking better every day. Mine produces a non-smelly thick mass of what looks like brownish dishwashing suds, with dark liquid in the bottom of the cup... I clean mine every few days though... maybe if I left all that stuff in the cup, it would solidify.

Long live the skimmer! :) I would highly recommend anyone that's looking, to get either a Euro-reef or an All-seas Marine skimmer, which both use the Sedra pumps with the needle-wheel impeller.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The one you have is a needle wheel ? Never seen one in action i will have to check it out soon.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.