Tunze skimmer or other?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

caymanada
Amoeba

Tunze skimmer or other?

Post by caymanada »

After a very long time (about 12 years) from having my last saltwater tank, I am setting up a 29 gal reef tank with a 10 gal sump. I am looking for a skimmer that is compact enough for the sump, either in-sump or hang-on, and of course space is at a premium. Eventually, I want to change my 100 gal freshwater tank to a reef tank and use the 29 gal as a quarantine tank, so I am looking for a skimmer that can be used either in the tank or hang on tank as well.

I am considering the Tunze 9010. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer?

Is the Tunze worth the extra cost and is it better than other skimmers such as Prizm, Aqua-C Remora, Coralife 65, etc.?

Any other skimmer suggestions? My max dimensions are 6"x6" inside the sump, and 10"x6" outside the sump, with a max height of 23".

Thanks.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I think most people will tell you that you could probably find a lot more skimmer for your money @ $327 from MD. I think you will be hard pressed to find a skimmer to meet what you are looking for. Has to be small, and good for a 29, as well as a 100gallon tank.

If it were me, and this is just my opinion, but I don't think I would try the one shoe to fit all sizes. I would just get something inexpensive for the 29 gallon , and if you move to the 100, then look at getting a really good skimmer. There are a lot of really nice hang-on-the-back type of skimmers out now that can be had for cheap. We have a prizm for Melissa's 39 gallon and it works great, as I am sure the CPR's, etc also do for a tank that size. I think we paid $30 off ebay, a savings of $300 over the tunze :)

You also might want to send these people an email and ask them to send you their latest blem list. You can get a Euro Reef for 50% or so less the usual costs. sales@h2otropicals.com
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

If you are willing to spend the money on the tunze you shouldn't be disapointed with it. Also the Deltec hang on is supposed to be really good. I have used seaclones and prizms and they are in the trash now because they were nothing but problems for me.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Prizms work great until they start a fire :D (even with a GFCI). Try getting a melted power strip off of the carpet.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
StoneFish
Amoeba

Post by StoneFish »

Putting one in a sump will always work better than a HOB skimmer. You are not going to be able to find one that will work well with both the 29 and the 100. It also depends on what you are wanting to keep. For the 29, I will recommend the AquaC Remora with a Mag 3. That one should be able to handle the 29 very well, no matter what you keep in there, but there is no way it will be enough to handle a 100 gallon.
caymanada
Amoeba

Post by caymanada »

Sounds like 2 against 1 on the Prizm.

I emailed AquaC to get their opinion on using the Remora for my setup. After double checking and triple checking my cabinet dimensions, it looks like the Remora with the MaxiJet 1200 would BARELY fit...about a 1/2" to spare. The Remora Pro with the Mag 3 is another 3" tall...too tall.

Would you guys still recommend the Remora with the MJ1200 pump over the Tunze?

Thanks.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

I don't recomend the over the tunze but i do think they are good skimmers.