need K2R Ca reactor instructions

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

need K2R Ca reactor instructions

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

I have a used K2R Calcium Reactor. Does anyone know where online I can find the instruction manual for this? I've never had a CA reactor before and I need to know how to work it.
-Kristyn
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Try emailing a reputable supplier (maybe marine depot or something like that) and asking if they could forward some instructions to you. I could not find any online, either.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Yeah I was thinking last night I may try to do that.
-Kristyn
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I had one and they work great. Here is the manufacturer with contact info at the bottom: http://www.coralfarms.com/

If you post the problem that you are having maybe we can figure it out though. Reactors are simple once you understand the principles behind them. Adjusting them can be a real pain if you don't keep a detailed log though.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

It's not that I'm having a problem with the way it works....I need to SET IT UP! When Rich was out he kinda explained it to me but I doubt I remember everything he told me. I wanted to find the instructions so I can try to set it up myself without having to get him to come out and do it for me.
-Kristyn
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I was looking for a good picture to help explain and refresh my memory of how these set up but I couldn't find one large enough so I will try to explain the best that I can.

There is a hose coming from the top of the lid, if you are using a powerhead to feed the unit this is where I had the gate valve to regulate the effluent rate, this should drip into a cup or something where you can measure the effluent ph. At first it's better to keep it close to the top of the water in the cup so that the Ph is not affected too much.

The other (medium sized hose on mine) was connected to a small powerhead to feed the unit. This hose goes to a T near the recirculation pump.

The small hose is the CO2 hose. I didn't use the bubble counter that is built in to the K2R but you can. There should be a check valve in the CO2 line.

The rest it trial and error, just keep a detailed log of the tank Ca and Alk readings, try to get the effluent Ph around 6.5 but not lower than 6.3 or so because it will melt the media. It also takes around a day before you can accurately test what the changes did. If I remember right I had an effluent rate of about 45ml/min (I used a large measuring cup and let the effluent drain into it for 5 or 10 minutes to help reduce any errors). Bubble rate was around 25/min. It's best to start with a higher effluent rate and lower bubble rate so that you don't melt the media though.

If there is anything that I haven't answered or you have any other questions let me know. I am by no means an expert but I have used one so I may be of some help.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Thanks. :) Once I get a chance to get it hooked up and going I'll let you know if I need more help!
-Kristyn