T-5 vs Coralife PC/halide setup

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I was thinking about the bulbs again. The ATI bulb that I have does say D&D on it, which I think is the old geismann bulb that ATI was selling right? It was an Aquablue +. It had only been run for a few months, 2 or 3 and I didn't like the color when I had just two of them on when my 14k MH were not on. I switched one of the ATI Aquablues out for a coralvue Actinic bulb that i found locally.

I think I put in the Geismann Actinic plus last night. I got two bulbs in to see what I liked more, the Gmann Actinic plus and the Gmann True Actinic. I haven't put the True Actinic in yet. I won't run both at the same time, but though I might have to with the XM 10k MH. Turns out I don't.

What I noticed. That Actinic Plus is a bright bulb. Now its not a white bright, but a purple/blue bright. It just seems to be putting off so much more light, regardless of what its PAR is. The old ATI D&D Aquablue Plus doesn't do a thing to the color when both bulbs are in. My tank looks like a blacklight is over it. I was hoping the white bulb(Aquablue Plus) would counter the purple color but it doesn't. I might have to go and order a 11k or two of the Geismann bulbs to counter ballance the Actinic. I must say that the Atinic Plus bulb does exactly what I was looking for in making things glow. Some have said its still not the same as an Actinic VHO but it works for me.

I'm not sure what ATIs come in the 80W range. If I order some more bulbs I might try an ATI and Gmann11k. Once my MH are up to 8 hrs a day I probably won't worry about how purple the tank is with the T5s on by themselves because I probably won't run them more than a few hours without the MH on.

As for the Gmann MH bulbs... I had their 13k bulb on a few years back and wasn't too impressed. It looked like other bulbs I had on the tank over the years. From what I read about the XM bulbs they do well on most peoples tanks. I figured since I can get 2 XM's for the price of 1 Gmann bulb I'd go that route this time.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, that should be one of the older ATIs that Giesemann made. Although slight, what distinguishes the new ATI bulb is that they call their 'aquablue' bulb the Aquablue special. Their other bulb is a Blue+ bulb. Because Giesemann basically owned it, they decided to change the names a bit. So it was that bright? I may have to try one next time around--have a while 'til then, though. I agree that it is a strong blue color. When I change them out next time, I will replace a blue + with ATIs new (again, re-engineered) sun pro bulb to even things out. I too have heard nothing but good things about their metal halide bulbs. Giesemann Lichtechnik has always been a good company--we just haven't had them around as long as they have in Germany and Europe, sort of like the ATI T5 tubes. I guess the same goes for other brands of equipment that took a while to catch on here.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Well after 2 days of burn in it might not be as purple as it was but the aquablue + bulb(old ATI Bulb) still does nothing to offset the color. This is the same aquablue + bulb that I had paired with a coralvue Actinic bulb and I had more of a whitish look to the tank, a lot more white/yellow. It wasn't the best look but did the job when the MH were not on. Like I said i'm only running 2 T5 bubls to supliment the MH and to have on so i don't have to run the MH 12 hours a day to see the tank. IMO it would be a good bulb to pair up if you want to offset some 6500 to 11k T5 bulbs. I would guess you need them in a 1:2 ratio at least. I might take the Actinic plus out and see what the true Actinic bulb looks like.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Are you looking for a more daylight look from the tank by using the T5's without the MH? You're wanting to go with 1 white bulb and 1 actinic? Just trying to get the picture here. I was thinking you weren't happy with the color of the corals under the actinic alone until your last post. My bad. :)

I've heard alot of good comments about the XM10K bulbs, let us know how they do for you.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I was just making a comment on the look of the tank. I'm not one who likes a tank that looks purple. Everything is purple, water, sand, coral, rocks, fish..., but the corals that are suppose to pop with neon colors do under that Gmann Actinic plus. I was just making my observation from going from the coralvue actinic. It did absolutly nothing and the old ATI actually ballanced out the color. I really like the color with all the bulbs on.. MH and T5. Since I was running the tank without MH for a while I started to slowly bring them back on. I had them up to about 4 hrs a day and then my XMs came in. I'm back up to about 2.5 hrs, and I think I still bleached out my purple cap. I'll probably have them on about 6 hours by the end of december, or maybe 7-8 if things look good.

So I like the bulbs but I'm surprised in the poor output of the old ATI bulbs that i had. The one I have in now only had a few months of run time on it so it can't be bad from running it too long.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Well, since you've brought all this up, :lol: I took a look at the difference in coloration from the T5 between my 120 and the 40. The 120 has 2 blueplus bulbs and I like the color of it before the MH come on, but definately like it better with the MH on. The 40 has 1 aquablue plus and one actinic (both Geismann) and it definately has a more purple color to it. When I look at the two, O really like the bluer look of the big tank. Funny, I never even thought about it till you brought this up. :lol:
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I do realize how drab the tank was with the old ATI/DD bulb and Coralvue Actinic vs how purple it is with the Actinic Plus and the old ATI/DD bulb. The MH washed it all out on both setups, but with the new Gman Actinic plus bulb I do get a nice color mix with the XM 10k. Something similar to the phoenix 14ks I had, but hopefully with more growth and/or better color. I guess thats where the time thing comes in.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ok, back on the subject. :lol: I have decided to get rid of the MH on the 40, the tank is a Hex and a pain in the ass to get even lighting on. I'm going to go with most likely two T5 tek retrofits (here's the sad thing. I ordered one retrofit already to replace my old T5 fixture that died. Now that I've decided to do this it would have been cheaper to get a 4 bulb teklight fixture than 2 retrofits :roll: ). SO, the bulb issue comes back. I ordered so far, a Geismann aquablue plus, a UV aquasun and an ATI blueplus. I have Geismann actinic, but I really don't like the purple much.

I want to start with those three and possibly the actinic, But I may go with a different actinic. Any ideas?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

there was a great thread on RC where someone asked about different Actinics and people posted pics and opinions on the bulbs. I had to get the Geismann because they are the only ones who carry the 80 Actinics. I'm not sure what other brand had the other good ones mentioned. I'd have to find that thread or maybe you can find it. Grimreefer posted on it if that helps finding it.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:Ok, back on the subject. :lol: I have decided to get rid of the MH on the 40, the tank is a Hex and a pain in the ass to get even lighting on. I'm going to go with most likely two T5 tek retrofits (here's the sad thing. I ordered one retrofit already to replace my old T5 fixture that died. Now that I've decided to do this it would have been cheaper to get a 4 bulb teklight fixture than 2 retrofits :roll: ). SO, the bulb issue comes back. I ordered so far, a Geismann aquablue plus, a UV aquasun and an ATI blueplus. I have Geismann actinic, but I really don't like the purple much.

I want to start with those three and possibly the actinic, But I may go with a different actinic. Any ideas?
Yeah, the retrofit kits will be more because of the IceCap ballast. It also includes the good reflectors. This setup would overdrive the bulbs (a lot more light) and reduce their useful life to about 12 months--which is what I do, as opposed to the every 6 mos. on VHOs. Active cooling with a fan also goes a long way with the T-5s. The Tek fixture is still very good, though they are normally driven. It includes the individual reflectors, so you should get plenty of output. The aquasun tube is a full daylight tube, so if you like a bluer look, you may not want it. IMO, though, it balances out the color well and is one of the brightest bulbs on the market. If I remember the color of the Giesemann Aquablue+, then it should be fairly balanced out (as in your tank as a whole). I think the blue plus bulbs will give you all the added blue you want. I am running 3 ATI blue+ bulbs, 2 ATI Aquablue special bulbs, and one UV Aquasun, all overdriven, and it gives a very slight blue tint, with more of a crisp white look.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Would you believe the fixture doesn't work? If the nice guys will do it, I'm going to see if I can return it and just put the cost to a Tec Fixture. If they wont I'll go with plan A.

I don't really need excessive light, the tank holds mainly Montiporas up high, Xenia and Gonioporas on the sand and a Caulastrea midway. I've been looking at it without the T5s I had and just hate how yellow it actually looks. The MH bulb is a Geismann 14K, odd that it seems so yellow. But it's a junk ballast and a junk fixture, so I'm really not surprised. I had an aquablue plus and an actinic on it before with the MH.

I saw that thread Drew, honestly it was a little overwhelming after reading thru a zillion posts :) but it did give me some ideas. Was the actinic plus more blue than the purple actinic? I haven't run a daylight bulb yet, I really hope the aquablue plus and blue plus will balance it, I also like the crisp white look.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ok, scratch that first part. There is nothing wrong with the fixture, it was the operator :lol: and I blame the massive headache I had earlier for everything. Geez. Anyway, that thing has twice the output of my old fixture. I am beginning to wonder if 4 will be too much.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Sue I'm running your basic 4 - 54w T5s on my 110. Three are 10K and one is an actinic. It is what I would call a sturdy (but low end) system. Standard reflectors and balast and my corals (or your's depending on your point of view) are all doing well. I'll change tubes later and definately go for those with more blue but I think it may be more for my needs than the corals. I do miss the shimmer of MH though. I can't lie about that. :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I am quite surprised at the difference in this fixture. I think it's the individual reflectors. My other one had a single reflector. The aquablue plus has a white color, the actinic adds a little purple but doesn;t override the white. Before the color was a washed out much more purple color. I think I'm going to lower the time the MH is on until I get the other fixture, a few things are getting a little light.

I'm really considering getting indiv. reflectors for the fixture on the 120. It might just help shield the bulbs from the heat of the 250's also.

And DrHank, they are yours. :) Glad they are doing well.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:I am quite surprised at the difference in this fixture. I think it's the individual reflectors. My other one had a single reflector. The aquablue plus has a white color, the actinic adds a little purple but doesn;t override the white. Before the color was a washed out much more purple color. I think I'm going to lower the time the MH is on until I get the other fixture, a few things are getting a little light.

I'm really considering getting indiv. reflectors for the fixture on the 120. It might just help shield the bulbs from the heat of the 250's also.

And DrHank, they are yours. :) Glad they are doing well.
The individual reflectors make a HUGE difference. The numbers were run on them, and it turns out that T5s only put out roughly 40% of the potential amount of light without individual reflectors. I notice the same as I was installing mine with the VHOs on. It looked pink from the VHOs and noticeably dimmer looking. Upon adding the good reflectors (I think they are IceCap), they easily overpowered the VHOs--even when I only had 2 T5 lamps. I don't know how much it will shield them though. Metal conducts heat extremely well, so I don't think that would make too big of a difference. Do you have fans running over them? That counts too.
Andrew