TDS of 57

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

TDS of 57

Post by Scott »

Not that it's going into my tank but how bad is it? I got one of those dual inline TDS meters and the water from the last filter that goes to the membrane has a tds of 57. Right now I am just using it to wash the filter socks and was out my water tank before I wash it out with clean water again.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Unless you have really bad water, that is not that great. To put things into perspective, at B&B, we use carbon filtration so we don't have to dechlorinate/dechloraminate. The TDS (ppm) usually runs anywhere from the mid 70's to a bit over 100, averaging out around 80. Coming out of a membrane, it should be around 5-10 TDS, or else the DI resin won't last too long under those conditions.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Beaugoes
Amoeba

TDS reading

Post by Beaugoes »

I have the dual line TDS meter on the inlet to my Water General 100GPD and the inlet reading is 042 before the filters (straight tap water) and 000 after the DI to the sump. Haven't tried to screen the water between the filters and membrane, so don't know if this info helps you or not - though I do know that my input reading has never been above 062. Beau in PCOLA
If I needed another Dog, I'd buy another Harley!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

The 57 is between the last filter and the membrane. After the membrane it is 1 and after the first DI it's 0. I had a bad membrane and needed to clean some stuff up and just used the RO filter without the membrane. My tap was around 150 last time I checked.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Ah, ok, I misunderstood you. Yes, a TDS of 57 after the carbon block and particulate filtration stages and just prior to the membrane is fine. With a new membrane, etc., ours at B&B runs around 2-0 ppm product with 80+ ppm going into the membrane (post particulate/carbon filtration stages).
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Buckeye Field Supply
Amoeba

Re: TDS of 57

Post by Buckeye Field Supply »

Scott wrote:Not that it's going into my tank but how bad is it? I got one of those dual inline TDS meters and the water from the last filter that goes to the membrane has a tds of 57.
Scott
Wow - consider yourself fortunate. That's very low tds for tap water.

Remember that your prefilters don't affect tds levels to any substantial extent.

Russ @ BFS