flex or rigid pvc for return. which is better?

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

steveanddanni
Amoeba

flex or rigid pvc for return. which is better?

Post by steveanddanni »

Just as title states. What are the advantages /disadvantages to using flex pvc over rigid pvc for return?
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Flex eliminates the 45's and 90's that you need to change direction with the rigid pvc which in turn lowers the head pressure. It allows more flow. The flexspa isn't that flexable though. For smaller tighter spaced applications I find it difficult to work with. It is a bit more expensive also. It works great under my 6 ft stand.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

If you are looking to go with spa flex and you need some 1" let me know. I am looking to order some from work in the next few weeks for a project and I can only get it in 50' rolls. Upside to this is its less than .$50 a foot.

FYI you will likely get a lot of vibration noise if you go strickly solid pvc.

Joe
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

We need about 15 feet

My wife is so articulate :roll: Yeah we need about 15 feet of 1" Let me know when you plan on ordering.

Thanks Steve
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

This might be kind of late but I am using all flexible pvc on my new tank (with the exception of the standpipes and very few other places. I am using the 1.5" and I like it but it is kind of hard to work with. When I first started the project I put it out in the sun (mine is black so that might have helped it retain some heat) to make it more flexible but now I have to put it in the oven set low or use a heat gun (a hair dryer didn't work for me but I do have to keep the heat gun on low). Also, I got it from a pond supply store and they shipped me a 50' roll for less than $.90/ft shipped.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

That' an awsome price. I just have nowhere to store the remainder of the 50' roll. I only need about 10-15' of 1" and about 6' of 1.5".