Hydor Koralia

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

DrHank
Amoeba

Hydor Koralia

Post by DrHank »

For about the past month I've been using a single Seio 1500 that Sue was kind enough to lend me so I could give it a try. The flow was IMO quite a bit more than I needed. She suggested that I might benefit from one of the Hydor Koralia pumps.

I had the baffles on her 1500 about half way closed to reduce flow to what my tank seemed to like. Last week I ordered a Pump 3. Tonight it came in and is now running on my tank. The flow is impressive (I think the Pump 4 would have been too much).

It is extremely adjustable and the size is smaller than the Seio. The only negative so far is that it's made primarily of flexible plastic. That doesn't effect its operation but is worth a comment. I'm hoping I like it as well next year as I do now.

Thanks so much Sue! I'll get your Seio cleaned up and back to you on our next Biloxi run (later this month). :D

Just thought you folks would like to know. Right now I'd give it a thumbs up. It pushes 850 gph on less than 7 watts. Just like adding a night light.
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Yep, they definately looked promising. Glad it's working well, I may consider one myself. :)
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I like the seios, but as you said, they are bulky. The other thing that I dont like as much is the flow concentrated in a tube like shape. Doesn't the Koralia have a much more diffuse, wide pattern flow as opposed to the tubular flow, sorta like Tunze streams?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It looked like it had a similar impellar to the Tunze.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Pattern is very wide and strong. Power draw is minimal and folks are allready begining to mod (I don't know why you'd need to). Width of current path appears to be wider than the Seio. More directional control than the Seio.

I hope it stands up to the test of time. I think it will due to simplicity but other Hydor products don't seem to have a lot of reliability.
Doc :D