Glass drilling

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

evermann
Amoeba

Glass drilling

Post by evermann »

Snoop mentioned a place in Balwin Co. that drills tanks, but I cant seem to find it...Anyone know what tht place might be or another place closer than MS? I really dont want to lug my 75 to P'gola for two 1/2-3/4" holes, but I was thankfully talked out of an overflow box (thnks agn kev).
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

eastern shore glass...its next to lotts auto care and south paws grooming
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

thnks Mike...what size would u guys recommend for a 75g, 1/2 or 3/4" holes? It may not really matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

1" overflows and 3/4" returns
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

What size hole for a 1" bulkhead? 1-3/4"?
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

yes.... a 3/4" bulkhead and a 1" bulkhead use the same size glass hole...
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

**UPDATE**Eastern shore glass was bought by bay city glass in mobile, both places can do it but charge 17.50 per hole(size dont make a diff on the smaller holes)....ESG said there delay would be a couple weeks(U read it right) and BCG said they only have a day or two lay over...Not a whole lot to think abt....Cpl days 35.00 here I come...
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Sounds kind of high for those holes, thought we had a place doing it cheap ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Firstly, the latest information I have says that a 3/4" and a 1" bulkhead both require a 1 3/4" hole.

Eastern shore glass does NOT have a 1 3/4" hole saw. So this whole discussion is really moot. I verified this yesterday by showing up in the store and asking. They have a 1.5" and a 2" hole saw available, and they are willing to do the work. That also goes for Port City Mirror/Glass, the only place here in Mobile that I found that would do the work. They had a 1.5" and a 2" and were willing to do the work, but didn't have the correct holesaw size.

I ended up taking my tank over to Rich's for his next trip over to Oceanview, to have it drilled... Oceanview actually charges $5 according to Mike, however Rich quoted $10 to have it done. Markup, I guess.

If I bought a holesaw, would a couple of you guys want holes drilled? I have a drill press. A 1 3/4" holesaw costs about $50 shipped; if I could charge a few people $10 to drill holes, I'd make part of the money back.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I think most people (me included) would prefer to have it drilled by someone who has experience drilling it. Would hate to scrap an expensive tank in order to save $5-10.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I may be putting my foot in mouth, but drilling glass is NOT that hard. Just requires the correct diamond-tipped holesaw and a lot of patience and water cooling. It also requires either a jig to hold the holesaw in place or a drill press (I can do both). I think the main reason I'd rather do it myself is that I hate waiting weeks for somebody else to do it. I'm gonna be waiting 1.5-2 weeks for Rich to get the one drilled for me.

On the other hand, I definitly understand about drilling large tanks... but again, it just requires a drill press and a large workbench to set it up on, and a few guys to move the tank in and back out when it's done. Did I mention I have a 16' work bench?

How about this, does anyone have any SMALL tanks they want drilled? I'm trying to find an excuse to buy a $50 hole saw :)
-Josh Murrah
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

Just got off the phone with the owner of Universal Glass (Springhill Ave. 433-5960) in Mobile...He said they have a 1 3/4" bit and could do it for 15.00 a hole...Of course he said he doesn't claim responsibility (standard), but that it shouldnt be a prob...He said there won't be much of a delay, a day or so...So I am volunteering to try them...I'll go in the next couple of days and let you guys know how they did..
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

That would figure..... I called and visited their sister company / affiliate, Universal Supply Co. over on Government, and they didn't have anything. Let us know! What size tank are you having drilled?
-Josh Murrah
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

How much does Rich charge per hole to send the tank to Mississippi and have it drilled? I was told like $10 a hole. I need 4 holes drilled $40 compared to $60 is a huge difference to me.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Yep Rich charges $10 a hole. Not bad at all... but if you're gonna be doing 4 holes, just get a hole saw and do it yourself... holesaw will only set you back < $50 including shipping.

Actually, according to Mike, Oceanview just charges $5 a hole.... the rest is Rich's markup. Just load up the 100G in your pickup and deliver it to Oceanview, and save yourself $20 (spend it on gas and a few slots).
-Josh Murrah