Glass drilling

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

Just depends on what your pref is...I personnaly don't want to wait the cpl weeks or make the drive to Pgola...So I dont mind spending the extra 5.00 per hole...If you dont mind waiting drop it off at Richs or driving go to MS...Its up to you...btw, I'm getting 2 holes drilled on a 75g...I'll let ya'll know how it goes...
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Yeah, lemme know how it goes.... I need a few holes drilled in my 75 gallon too.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I was told by a glass place in Bay Minette that it had to be untempered glass to be able to drill it without cracking it. It might be worth checking on. You might want to call them. Bay Minette Glass ( 937-9659).
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Snakeman wrote:I was told by a glass place in Bay Minette that it had to be untempered glass to be able to drill it without cracking it. It might be worth checking on. You might want to call them. Bay Minette Glass ( 937-9659).

That is true.... it cannot be tempered glass. Most new tanks that are tempered have a warning sticker somewhere on them stating not to drill.
What I am wondering is if they guarantee not to break the tank on untempered work?
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Most of the time just the bottom pane of glass is tempered. It cannot be drilled within reason (something about a LAZER) without shattering. You can measure the thickness of the glass and compare it to another tank that you know has untempered glass. The tempered will be thinner. I don't believe that any place, including Oceanview, guarantees that the pane they are drilling will not break.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

oceanview tanks arent tempered except the 55 gallon and its onlythe bottom glass...also, they'll put a sticker saying its tempered...
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Hey Mike,
If I brought my tank to you at work how much would it cost to send it off and get 4 holes drilled and how long would it take?
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

prolly cost around 8 bucks a hole and oceanview will be dropping by soon, so if you want it done, let me know asap
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

That sounds great.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

When should I bring it by?
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

soon
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I will try to bring it by Sat. Is that soon enough? How long will it be until they come back?
evermann
Amoeba

Post by evermann »

good question..
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

they said they will be delivering wednesaday....also, they said you can pick it up there the following day if you need it quickly, its not very far away...30 min max...if you dont need it soon, then they will be delivering back to us 2 weeks later when they make their shipment to florida
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

if you wait to pick it up from the store, it will be 10 a hole, if you pick it up from the facility, they will charge you 5.95 a hole...