VHO lighting

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

VHO lighting

Post by Fishfood »

So can someone re-educate me on VHO bulbs. I last used them probably 5 yrs ago. I have a 2 bulb T5 setup with a pure actinic bulb and an aquablue or aquablue +. The actinic T5 isn't that actinic so I want to add a two 48 inch VHO bulbs run by an ARO ballast that is sold on hellolights.com for $35. Its just been so long since I used VHO that I don't know whats good anymore. I obviously want 1 Actinic bulb but I also want something in the 10k neighborhood or the tank will be too blue.

The bulbs out there are Actinic, 50/50 and daylight from what I can tell. Is URI still the best brand? Which bulbs would be best with my current setup?

Drew
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yep, URI is still the best when it comes to VHOs, even though the company is now called UVL. If you like a blue look and are looking for the actinic "pop", then go with the UVL Superactinic tubes. Do you have Blue+ tubes or the aquablue special tubes by ATI? Or are they the Giesemann brand? If you like a bit more blue and "pop", I would replace the actinic T5 with a Blue+ by ATI (they are blue, but they are still one of the brightests lamps on the market) and go with VHO actinics.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

well the thing is i just got two new Actinics and could only go with the Giesemann because they were the only ones making the 80 watt actinc bulbs. I'm still running a blue plus I think and either the actinic plus or super actinic. Both were purple and I can't remember which one i have in right now. So for the time being i wanted one actinic and one white or 50/50 vho I guess. Can't let the other bulbs go to waste. I'll make due with what i have.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So I'm going to order the ARO AS220 and add the bulbs in when I order. Here are my options with the URI bulbs. Would you do 50/50 or daylight with the actinic considering I have the T5 actinic and Aquablue +?

Actinic

48" (VHO, T12) Super Actinic R, 110W -URI 104003V

Daylight

48" (VHO, T12) 10,000K Aquasun, 110W -URI 11-4-AQ-V

50/50

48" (VHO, T12) 50/50 Actinic / White, 110W -URI 12-40-ATW-V
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Out of those bulbs, I like the Actinic White color-wise. The Aquasun just looks pink, but it is their only "daylight" bulb. I guess I would go for one superactinic and one actinic white. Might still give a purplish glow, though.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I would go with your suggestion of gonig all actinic with the vho and with 11k or whatever for the T5 but I don't have the money to just not use a 2 $20+ bulbs I just bought. Now if anyone out there is using the 80w T5's and wants to buy some actinic bulbs off of me than that would be a different story.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Fishfood wrote:I would go with your suggestion of gonig all actinic with the vho and with 11k or whatever for the T5 but I don't have the money to just not use a 2 $20+ bulbs I just bought. Now if anyone out there is using the 80w T5's and wants to buy some actinic bulbs off of me than that would be a different story.
No, I understand completely. I think with your one actinic t5, your 11k bulb, the actinic white, and the superactinic, that should give you close to the look you want. The only issue with one VHO actinic is that it likely won't give you enough coverage.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Well I just ordered the aro ballast and two bulbs. I also just realized that the 660 I have can run three 80 watt T5's. I might just re-wire things and add another T5 bulb, but will most likely go with the smaller 54 watt one for now because no one local carries the 80's that I know of, and most places want a minimum order for bulbs.